How much homework do feel is appropriate and beneficial for say an 8 year old?

http://www.cafemom.com/group/88276 - more on this topic

Mrs.C.McK

Asked by Mrs.C.McK at 2:15 PM on Oct. 3, 2008 in General Parenting

• I'm sort of anti-homework, so I'd say 15 minutes or none at all! But These days schools give out about 1 hour per night at that age, and 2 hours the older they get. I think that's ridiculous to go to school all day, my DD goes to orchestra during zero period, sports for 2 hours after school, and then she has 2 hours homework, she needs to do her chores, have free time (yeah right) and shower and her whole day is filled up with school stuff. A little overdone in this country. I'm a believer that more homework does NOT equal smarter kid...I think they do it to get a good grade b/c they have to.
    Anonymous

• i think kids shouldnt have homework either...when i go to work all day the last think i want to do is take that work home with me and do more. My kids have about 30-40 minutes a day ( one of them is 9) and i hate it. Not because its ard or because it doesnt help them i just believe in being well rounded and if i have to sit and help each one with homework how much time does it leave them to have music lessons or play sports or be involved in community service or scouts. Let alone have family time and dinner and still get to bed at a normal time.
    Rysana

Answer by Rysana at 2:28 PM on Oct. 3, 2008

• I am hearing some like-minded answers. I am looking for more discussion on the topic at http://www.cafemom.com/group/88276

Mrs.C.McK

Answer by Mrs.C.McK at 2:30 PM on Oct. 3, 2008

• I have my son do 30-minutes of "homework" a night. It might not necessarily be anything he's got to do from school but it includes things like working on spelling words and reading to each other. And it can be fun.

For example, my son and I play spelling 'football' - we toss the ball back and forth and he spells the words (5 yards forward if he get's it right, 5 yards backward if he gets it wrong). Maybe he'll get a touchdown. We play hangman with the spelling words. We read magazines - or he reads them and I ask questions about it.
    eringobrough

Answer by eringobrough at 3:25 PM on Oct. 3, 2008

• i taught 2nd grade for 4 yrs, i say 20 min 3 times a week. one math, one reading one spelling ... mostly for the practice of how to do homework and to keep parents connected with what their kids are learning in school.
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 3:27 PM on Oct. 3, 2008