For those that used a pack n play instead of a crib, or even both...

I'm 22 weeks with my first(it's a girl) and we have very limited space, so we decided against a crib and got a pack n play instead. It has a changing table, full bassinet diaper stacker, etc and claims to be much sturdier than other ones we've checked out(most say the bassinet holds up to 15 lb and the playard itself holds up to 30, but this says the bassinet is up to 25 lbs and the playard up to 45). My concern is if this is going to be able to work out for at least the first year...so what is everyone else's experience with using a pack n play as a crib?

jazi1105

Asked by jazi1105 at 10:50 PM on Jul. 29, 2010 in Pregnancy

• That is a good price for what you paid, but if you want a changing area for you baby after 4-5 months that table will be to small.The changing table looks wider than the one I have but the lenght on those will only last up to 4-5 months at the most. My son has already outgrown his at 3 months-his head touches the top and his feet go over the end, he is in the 90% for his height but even if your child is smaller they will be to long for it by 5 months for sure. But We used ours for the first 2 months in the living room and it was really conveinent. As for sleeping in, my sisters daughter slept in hers until 2.5 years no problem. So for a crib this will work longer than a year but once your baby was too big for the changing table you could always just buy a changing pad and just change her on the floor,pads are only like $20
    wood1980

Answer by wood1980 at 11:06 AM on Jul. 30, 2010

• My son slept in his pack and play in our bedroom from the time he out grew the bassinet until he was 9 months old. He still takes naps in the pack and play. He is a very active 14 month old and we have had no problems with this arrangement.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 10:53 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• We did that with our son for a while. It worked out fine. Just have to lean in further , you could possibly pull a muscle or something. It will work for the first year. My son is 2 and he doesn't even weigh 30 pounds yet. So, you are all good. We did buy our son a crib and he absolutely hated it. He had more room in his pack and play, he was used to roaming around.
    armywife2009101

Answer by armywife2009101 at 10:56 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• w/ my youngest we never did a crib but used a pack n play. Eventually when she was 16mo I think I bought her a crib mattress that I put on the floor beside my bed

Lynette

Answer by Lynette at 10:54 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• If a pack and play is the same as a play pen, it works great. We used ours in our room for the first month then it was used on her overnight visits to my mom's until she was 2. Congrats on the girl!
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 10:55 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• We dont have alot of money either. I have a 3 month old. When I was pregnant my mother in law insisted on buying me a pack n play and a bassinet. I didnt want the bassinet because I thought it was a waste of money when it can only be used for a few months, but we used it to make her happy. My son slept in it for 2 weeks and then has been in his crib since. The pack and play would work out as a crib too. But just buy the one that the mattress can be at 2 different levels. Keep it at the higher setting when the baby is small and then when the baby can pull himself up put it on the lowest setting.The models that come with diaper stackers, changing table, cost alot more. The baby will be to big for the changing table after only a few months. And diapers will have to be put into a drawer when baby starts crawling otheerwise the baby will clean out the diaper stacker for you.
    wood1980

Answer by wood1980 at 11:45 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• My son slept in his pack and play... it had the bassinett/pack and play in one, i got it because it was cheaper then getting both of them lol ... he just moved over to his room about 2 months ago...
    K-RydesMommy

Answer by K-RydesMommy at 11:47 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• CONTINUED FROM LAST POST...
    I returned the expensive pak n ply and got the cheaper one. For a changing table: I purchased a dresser that was waist high and wide with alot of drawers, I put a changing pad on the top and it is my changing area with diapers in one drawer and lotions/soaps in another and baby clothing in the rest. We saved alot because when its not his changing table anymore it will be a nice dresser.
    wood1980

Answer by wood1980 at 11:50 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• the pack n play that I got has a removable bassinet and the changing table is big...and it was cheaper than getting a crib or any other pack n play...I got it for $99.99 at Toys r Us...here's the exact one I got... http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=4024389
    jazi1105

Comment by jazi1105 (original poster) at 11:51 PM on Jul. 29, 2010