Following the logic

According to the responses in this question:
http://www.cafemom.com/answers/462297/Do_churches_have_a_moral_obligation_to_refuse_donations_from_klan_members

A place of worship has no moral obligation to screen the backgrounds of people who donate to them before accepting their donations.

According to responses to this follow up question:
http://www.cafemom.com/answers/464466/If_churches_do_not_have_a_moral_obligation_S_O_of_last_question

There is no reason besides racism to oppose the building of the mosque in Manhattan.

It cannot be an insult to the victims when some of the victims were Muslim. It cannot be due to questionable donations (because if it's not true for churches you can't say it's different for a different house of worship).
It cannot be the location is inappropriate - there are churches all over around ground zero.

So what LOGICAL and FACTUAL (not emotional) reason is there to opp

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 10:53 PM on Jul. 29, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• the opposition is purely based on a) emotion and b) misinformation.

Many people believe that the mosque will open on Sept 11. If this were the case, I would be emotionally opposed too, but it's not. It's just an internet rumor.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 10:56 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• My thought is that this a very volatile issue and many otherwise intelligent and logical people have a visceral reaction to this idea. And while I am not saying that innocent Muslims should bow and scrape for those extremists BUT it would go a LONG way not to seem to just be stoking the fire. While I understand what YOU are saying I am saying that there ARE other places that this could be done. Less inflammatory. Also, according to people on this very site it is ok to lump ALL Christians together with those that are the loudest and most ignorant....and they only throw words. So how can those SAME people condemn people from having such an emotional response to a group whose extremists killed loved ones.....

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 11:08 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• Well, I guess... I will answer and if we are talking about the same mosque cool if not disregard this lol I have no issue with a mosque being built near the site. I DO have a problem with Imam Rauf's ideologies. I fear he is not the peaceful Muslim that he wants everyone to believe. I do not agree with the mosque because it won't be a place for peace and prayer it will become a recruiting center. I wouldn't support a Christian center that had a leader that I knew would be teaching to wipe out other people and recruiting/brain washing and such. Its not based on emotion, I wouldn't mind a mosque being there at all.... but I DO NOT think this mans intent is pure. I wish people would read his book What’s Right with Islam is What’s Right with America: A New Vision for Muslims and the West. He talks about how Sharia Law should be implemented here.... he sympathizes with suicide bombers. I just don't trust him.
    Crissy1213

Answer by Crissy1213 at 11:21 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• . A mosque will lead to "recruiting extremists" but a Jehovah's Witness Hall doesn't? (for the record, I'm not singling out Catholics or Jews or JW's here, just pointing out that they wouldn't be subjected to nearly as much scrutiny even though they are just as hated in certain religious circles).

JW's Catholics and Jews are not in the habit of flying planes into buildings, they do not have an abundance of extremists that want all but their own killed.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 12:22 AM on Jul. 30, 2010

• There was no mosque destroyed on 9/11.

I would not care if a mosque was built anywhere else, but in the eyes of radical Muslims in other Muslim countries, building a mosque near ground zero stands as a monument to the damage inflected on us by the radial Muslims. It is like raising your flag over another country you defeated in battle.

I agree with Carpy, it will make a great recruiting tool for other extremist..  .

Natesmom507

Answer by Natesmom507 at 1:00 AM on Jul. 30, 2010

• Churches in Saudi Arabia????????????????????????????????

Anyone?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Bigotry?????????????????????????????????????????

Anyone???????????????????????????????????????????
    mustbeGRACE

Answer by mustbeGRACE at 11:18 AM on Jul. 30, 2010

• Not true. Go spend some time in a Muslim country or have a multitude of conversations with my Neighbor. He grew up in Lebanon, then was stuck in Afghanistan during their war with Russia, He will tell you a different story. Why because he LIVED it. He is Muslim and has enough sense to recognize the extremist element and how abundant it is IN MUSLIM countries.

Now this is an apples and zucchini comparison. Your comment indicates what was happening in another country. This is not Lebenon...
    Grace- S. A. is not the US either- different country, different parameters. We are not a homogeneous nation. We are not a Christian nation. We do have a separation of church and government, supported by law. We have freedom for ALL religions. Accept and move on.
    Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 11:31 AM on Jul. 30, 2010

_________________________________________________

So what, Grace. Because other countries don't have freedom of religion means we shouldn't? Is that your argument? We are talking about the US
    stacymomof2

Answer by stacymomof2 at 11:34 AM on Jul. 30, 2010

• mommom2009, you are really reaching with the Christian thing. You are talking about an extremely small group of people on the fringe. There are millions of very well organized Islamic extremists, they are not a "fringe. There is a very small number of Christians committing crimes against a very small number of people. It is very different with Islam.

It shocks me to find so many of you that are so naive when it comes to Islam. Just recently the DHS held meetings with the leaders of various US Islamic groups. The reason was to get their help in expelling the extremists within their faith. The DHS was basically told hell no. Why was this?

http://www.judicialwatch.org/news/2010/jul/documents-uncovered-jw-detail-meeting-between-dhs-secretary-napolitano-and-controversi

yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 11:58 AM on Jul. 30, 2010

• They won't believe a word of it until it is in OUR backyard
    ________________
    What, Islam? It is. There are around 10 million Muslims in the US. That's a conservative estimate. It IS in my backyard, playing in the kiddie pool and fighting over the inflatable ball. They are also known as my kids. YOU are the one who is ignorant to Islam. Have you ever been to Mosque? I have, numerous times. Have you integrated tenents of Islam into your life? I have, because of my husband and kids. Have you heard deep discussions about Islam and the meanings of the words in the Quar'an? I have, I discuss it with my husband regularly, along with having a very intense talk with the Imam that married me & my husband regarding problems that may arise with interfaith marriages. (His advice, call him if my husband gets out of line...hahahah, I threaten to do it sometimes, too.)
    stacymomof2

Answer by stacymomof2 at 12:36 PM on Jul. 30, 2010