How do you feel about complete and total honesty?........mainly want to hear opinions on the receiving end of it. TY!

I decided shortly before I met my now SO that I despised lies and everyone who chose to spoke them. I decided a long time before that to live by the "golden rule-give as you would prefer to receive". So I made a vow to myself to NEVER tell a lie for the rest of my life, not even one little tiny one! So since that very moment I have been telling people exactly how I feel, and not bothering to gift-wrap my advice and put a little bow on it just to soothe a persons "feelings". I would not expect nor want them to do that for me so.....goes back to the "golden rule". Do you have any friends like me and why or why not?

truthteller0722

Asked by truthteller0722 at 11:11 PM on Jul. 29, 2010 in Relationships

• Have you read that book ? "My life as a guinea pig?" Very funny story in there about that. Do you? Please say you do use the filter sometimes? I mean seriously if you were asked by some one "do you like my hair cut?" would you say "no I hate it " Really?

Yeah few friends will be on the path of life if you don't use the filter. Read that book and then see the stupid movie "The invention of lying". IT is a dumb movie but none the less gets a point across.
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 11:21 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• I think there's a difference between actually lying and just withholding the truth. I'd of course never want my BF to lie to me, but @ the same time there are SOME moments where 'ignorance is bliss' applies to me.
    nappeal

Answer by nappeal at 11:25 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• Oh and my GFs I'd always expect to tell me the truth, even if it really hurt my feelings, and they do!! But their intentions are always good and in my best interest. I ONLY want friends like that in my life.
    nappeal

Answer by nappeal at 11:27 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• Yes, I really would say "no I hate it", well that is if I really do. No have not read the book nor seen the movie either but.......a friend who cannot handle the truth from their friend is not really a friend, much a like a friend who chooses to lie to a friend IMO, is not really a friend.
    truthteller0722

Comment by truthteller0722 (original poster) at 11:28 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• I am pretty straight forward but I'm sure I sugar coat at times. That being said though, I do LOVE people being bluntly honest. It puts me at ease to know where I stand with someone like that. I also take what they say a lot more seriously and know not to ask if my feelings could get hurt.

I say good for you!
    Sara.Robyson

Answer by Sara.Robyson at 11:55 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• Thank you Sara.Robyson!!!
    truthteller0722

Comment by truthteller0722 (original poster) at 11:59 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• I am around people it is hard in my area to find a truthful person i hate people who have a lying tongue have friends who are truthful very few who tells the truth. me i will tell you like it is and a dying friend told me a few years ago to always let people know
    where you stand they might not like you but they will respect you i found this to be true in my case.
    guitarlady

Answer by guitarlady at 1:45 AM on Jul. 30, 2010

• I have one friend like that -- we are currently dating, which is great, because I was married to a pathological liar for 3 1/2yrs. Hearing the truth all the time is quite refreshing! Good for you! I try really hard not to lie, but small lies still slip out.....I usually am very quick to confess though, or it'll eat me up inside. I agree with you -- you should act the way you want to be treated. I don't want to be lied to, so I try very hard not to lie to people
    soccerchik8287

Answer by soccerchik8287 at 3:11 AM on Jul. 30, 2010

• Being truthful can be a guise to being hurtful. I've had family who claimed to be "just telling the truth." Well that's all fine and dandy until everything out of their mouths was hurtful, negative and painful for everyone else. There is a huge difference in being blunt, being truthful and having tact and saying a few white lies. I don't mind truthful people, or even those who are blunt in nature, as long as they can grasp that there are some things that don't need to be said for there is no reason to hurt people un-nessarilry.

isabellalecour

Answer by isabellalecour at 9:00 AM on Jul. 30, 2010

• I don't think there is any reason to tell someone something that is gonna hurt just to be honest for the sake of it. People should use there filter or if you have nothing nice to say don't say anything at all. I don't think its okay to lie from being caught or gossip and spread lies. But there is a huge difference in the two. Its not black and white its a gray area.
    lovinlifemommy

Answer by lovinlifemommy at 1:48 PM on Jul. 30, 2010