Why should dogs not eat cat food?

I know why cats need cat food but is there a reason dogs should eat dog food only? Other than cat food gives my Boston Terrier really really bad gas! He is already gassy but it is 100 times worse when he eats the cats food.

crazymom21

Asked by crazymom21 at 11:14 PM on Jul. 29, 2010 in Pets

• From what I know it is because of the level of Taurine in the cat food, as well as some fatty acids,and vitamins. Cat food has these added at appropriate levels for cats, as these are things the cat's body does not produce on it's own. Cat food also has much higher levels of proteins then what a dog requires. For your dog to accidently get into the cat's food is not a huge deal, however I"m sure that fed a regular diet of cat food over time would do more harm to your dog.
    jojuzach

Answer by jojuzach at 11:54 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• It's the amount of Iron. Over time, it can give your dog a buildup and cause kidney damage. Best to keep him out of it!! ; )
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 12:16 AM on Jul. 30, 2010

• It's specially formulated for the specific animal, age, and even sometimes breed. Therefore, the effects it would have on a cat could drastically be different and harmful to a dog. Same if a cat ate dog food.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 12:20 AM on Jul. 30, 2010

• I do not know of a reason why dogs should not eat cat food. I have asked my vet in the past and they could not give my an unhealthy reason for my dogs not to eat cat food. The only advice they had was that cat food is more costly than dog food!
    marchar2002

Answer by marchar2002 at 11:16 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• Well, think of it this way....should you eat cat food? No? Well, same goes for your dog.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 11:31 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• I don't know keeley some cat food looks kinda tasty :oP
    crazymom21

Comment by crazymom21 (original poster) at 11:40 PM on Jul. 29, 2010