I AM PREGNANT FOR THE FIRST TIME...

AND I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW IF I SHOULD TAKE THE EPIDURAL OR NOT.. MY WHOLE FAMILY IS TELLING ME I SHOULD DO IT NATURAL.. MY MOM HAD ME AND MY BROTHER NATURAL.. BUT I JUST DONT KNOW.. I WAS ALSO TOLD THAT THE EPIDURAL GIVES YOU BACK PROBLEMS FOR THE REST OF YOUR LIFE.. I'M SO CONFUSED. SOMEONE PLEASE HELP!!!

nov1708

Asked by nov1708 at 2:21 PM on Oct. 3, 2008 in Pregnancy

• Well its really up to you on that but I would say take the epidural. I had a epidural with both of my pregnancies and I had no back problems. You can also get a medicine in your i.v. that takes the edge of the pain you are in and that was some great stuff. lol! I say take the epidural though. It was great and I got some rest before having to push.
    Anonymous

• First of all, congrats on your pregnancy =] I'm having my first baby in December.

You're going to find that EVERYONE has an opinion now. EVERYONE is going to tell you what they think, whether you want to hear it or not. To get an epidural or not to get an epidural? To breastfeed or formula feed? To co-sleep or to not co-sleep? To vaccinate or not to vaccinate? One person will tell you one thing is best, the next person will tell you it's horrible.

In the end, it's YOUR decision. Nobody can make the decision except you. There are pros and cons to epidurals, and there are pros and cons to going natural. JUST BECAUSE someone in your family went natural doesn't mean YOU have to. Remember that this is your pregnancy and your life and your baby. People just give their opinions because they want to feel more in control of the situation. Good luck mama!
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 2:26 PM on Oct. 3, 2008

• I just had my first baby September 1. Through the entire pregnancy I was planning on going natural with no medication...my mom had very easy childbirth so I was counting on the same thing for myself.

That being said, I don't think you will know what to do until the time comes. I ended up getting an epidural about 4 hours into it and then ended up with a C section.

Just keep an open mind and consider all your options.

Congrats and good luck!
    jiara1

Answer by jiara1 at 2:34 PM on Oct. 3, 2008

• As far as back problems are concerned pushing through the labor it self can give you back problems. Epidurals are not that bad I had 2 children using an epidural for one with no back problems and natural for the other. given the choice I would have had an epidural for both. If you can handle pain try for a natural birth but during labor if you feel your in to much pain don't be ashamed to ask for an epidural.
    persuasion91297

Answer by persuasion91297 at 2:35 PM on Oct. 3, 2008

• People will tell you many different things about EVERYTHING! I wanted to have my son natural and I tried like hell. My water broke at 630 that morning and I didn't start contracting naturally so they had to give me pitocin. Well the contractions started soon after that started the pitocin. The nurse came in and checked dialation at about 2 ish that afternoon and I was still only 3 cm., and by that time contractions were pretty intense so I decided to go ahead and get the epi. Granted it took them 3 tries and about 1.5 hours before my epi worked, so around 330 I was okay. I had my son at 512 that evening.
    Cadens_Mommy118

Answer by Cadens_Mommy118 at 2:41 PM on Oct. 3, 2008

• Let's just say it took him a while but once he decided he was coming there was no playing. I went from 5 to 10 cm in 10 minutes and my doctor barely got there in time for him to be delivered. So I really only had the epi for the last 1.5 ish of my labor, but regardless its your decision. Either way, for me and people say this is strange but it was the best and most rewarding pain ever and I'd do it again in a heartbeat. Good luck mommy :-)

Sorry so long, guess I just have too much to say!
    Cadens_Mommy118

• I have had two kids and i had an epidural with both i do get some lower back pain but nothing i can't handle. It just all depends on how you handle pain cause some women can do natural.But if it's your first pregnancy it's always interesting to see how you can handle it.
    Anonymous

• I had an epidural, through a tattoo, and have no problems with that area of my back. I was sore a few days after the doc removed the needle, but that is normal. My mother had my sister and I (7.4 lbs and 8.9 lbs) naturally, with no pain meds. Having an epidural is a personal choice. Gauge your pain tolerance. I had one because I was having terrible back spams from a previous injury and it was going to hinder my pushing strength. Talk it over with yourself. Have you had any serious back or hip problems before your pregnancy? Are u able to sit in an awkward position for some period of time? Have you ever had a spinal tap?

Past pain will resurface during labor. My back injusry seemed fresh when the contractions increased. I was sitting in an uncomfortable position when I was pushing. I had a spinal tap once, so I had an idea. An epidural is far more pleasant than a spinal tap.
    GeishaTatMama66

Answer by GeishaTatMama66 at 2:57 PM on Oct. 3, 2008

• I am pregnant too for the first time, so i cannot help you! I am going to see how I do with out the epidural and if i feel i need it I am going to take it, but I would like to see if I can do it naturally!
    firztimemom

Answer by firztimemom at 3:41 PM on Oct. 3, 2008

• i have one which is fixing to be five next month. i did not use the epidural because of what other people said and besides that i saw what they look like and i was like oh no.lol my water broke at 6:30 pm on thanksgiving day in Nov.03 i was constantly going to the bathroom my family was like are you ok i said no im tired and i feel bad, when my mom got there we went home about 7:30 and my pants were wet and she checked and said ur water broke i said ok i dont want to go to the hospital yet i want to lay down, by 9:30pm i was having contractions so we went to the hospital about 10pm cause i couldnt take the pain so i asked for Demioral(not sure how to spell ) but it relaxed me and i couldnt feel the pain. other than that it was natural all i knew was when i had to push. I had him at 12:25 am that next morning. So go with what your heart wants and not what other people say. Good Luck and sorry so long.
    Anonymous