how did you do it?!

My 5 year old daughter is starting school in August and since I have been teaching her and preping her at home with letters and numbers. She knows most her numbers with the exception of 2 or 3 numbers but with the letter omgosh! She knows only like 5, she knows the abc's song but she cannot name them individually. I have bought her books, flash cards, we say them name a few things that start with the letter we have painted, I have letter around the house, she identifies them if I ask her to point out the letter or to hand it to me but I can't pick up a letter ask her what it is and have her tell me what it is. How did you do it?! Is this acceptable? are they gonna hold her back or put her in a special class, please help, I'm starting to feel like shes never going to learn and like I'm not doing a good job teaching her!

babyangelromero

Asked by babyangelromero at 11:19 PM on Jul. 29, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• It's more important to learn the sounds of the letters, rather than the names. "Bear" say "bbbbbear" rather than B. My mom's a reading specialist and I'm also a teacher. She may be slightly behind other kids, but she will be fine. Just keep working with her, without forcing her. Keep it light and fun- she'll get there!
    musichollie

Answer by musichollie at 11:52 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• I put my 5 year old in preschool, he also LOVED the show word world on pbs! he knows all of his letters, but weirdly enough, doesnt completely know the song.
    Billie_Bush

Answer by Billie_Bush at 11:22 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• have you had her vision checked? I had the same problems with mine. They told me it was a lack of discipline.

turns out it was a lack of sight.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 11:22 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• with my child we made flash cards together only doing like 2 or 3 a day and on the back of the flash cards we looked in magizines and cut out pics that started with that letter. Everyday we added 2 or 3 to the flashcards. Just keep working with her she will be fine I think.
    Shannon706

Answer by Shannon706 at 11:24 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• yeah, just had them checked yesterday for the physical the school requires us to get for her before starting school. She needs ALOT of praise and I give it to her but I know the teacher at school is gonna have more then my daughter in her class so I'm trying to get through it without her having those high expectations. I'm trying my best but it seems like she still just can't get it. We had to skip preschool cause she was going through surgery but we can't skip kindergarden and I want to catch her up we've been working on this for a while but she still can't get it or forgets it...I don't know what to do. I'm starting to get depressed.
    babyangelromero

Comment by babyangelromero (original poster) at 11:28 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• shannon706 yes I will try that, I guess I can get them from the reader or something.
    babyangelromero

Comment by babyangelromero (original poster) at 11:29 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• at age 2 i started working on one letter a week. A one week, B another week, then the third week, work on both A and B. the C, D, C&D, ect. she's older so you may have to do flashcards. let her watch Word World, my son loved that show. also get the DVD "The Letter Factory" by Leapfrog. do crafts that start with the letters. like for A, do an Alligator puppet. make sure you push that the A says "Ah", ect. also, before i got the letter factory, i knew the song from working in daycare, so we'd sing the song all the time, with each letter.

he's 3 1/2 now and already writing his name. not in the lines, of course lol, but he's writing his letters.

there is also another DVD you can try. i never got it, but i got the Numbers one. he learned #'s in 3days, after me working with him for months. ggrrr lol. mine was called "Numbers" lol, so the one you'd get is probly called "Letters". check a teachers store, they should have it. GL
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 11:43 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• The leap frog series is great!
    minimo77

Answer by minimo77 at 12:09 AM on Jul. 30, 2010