I use sunblock of spf 50, but i keep getting darker. Why is that?

I have not gotten sunburned, red or nothing like that, but i get alot of sun on my back especially, since my back is always facing the sun when i am in the pool. Even tho i put on sunblock of spf 50, i still get tanned, and i just keep getting darker. I hate my darker skin color on my arms and back. Obviously sunblock don't block all the sun, i am still getting dark, just not burned red. what can i do? Should i wear a shirt over my bathing suit when out in the sun, or just apply sunblock more often? I apply my sunblock about every 2 0r 3 hours. I don't want this to cause problems for me later, like skin cancer or nothing like that. Isn't tanned skin very unhealthy? Isn't it just damaged skin?

Honda309

Asked by Honda309 at 11:27 PM on Jul. 29, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Tanned skin is unhealthy...whether people want to believe that or not. I'd reapply more often. My SPF50 says to reapply every 45-90 minutes.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 11:29 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• You have to put it on two hours prior to going into the pool, then right before hand. You still will get some sun, so you can wear a shirt
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 11:29 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• ggrrr...i wish i had your problem. here you are complaining of tanning too much, when people like me are complaining because we can't tan at all. i'm whiter than bleach :(
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 11:29 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• You can try to reapply, but at the same time, sunblock isn't supposed to "block the sun." It is designed to block the harmful rays the sun emits. You will still darken if you're out. They do make a 70spf sunblock, but if it is that important to you, I'd throw on a shirt, or find an indoor pool.
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 11:57 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• Sunblock doesn't prevent you from tanning it only prevents you from burning. As well it prevents the sun's rays from damaging your skin. It doesn't prevent your skin's pigment from darkening your skin though. As well, it takes an hour for sunblock to activate, so if you go outside before that you're going to get the sun's natural light as if you weren't covered. And you DO have to reapply after 1-2 hours of being out in the sun. Otherwise you aren't covered.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 12:16 AM on Jul. 30, 2010