Godparents: do they have a role or is it just a title to you?

What's expected, if anything, from them?

ProudMammaMia

Asked by ProudMammaMia at 11:58 PM on Jul. 29, 2010 in Just for Fun

• My daughter has a god-father He is 3rd in line to take our daughter if something would happen to my husband and me, my parents, my husbands mom. He would be the one after that.
    vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 11:59 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• My daughter's god parents were chosen to care for her if something were to hapen to me.
    tryin2BGOOD

Answer by tryin2BGOOD at 12:01 AM on Jul. 30, 2010

• I'm wondering if they come around often, how often? Are they a part of your childs life? Have you run into dissapointing godparents?
    ProudMammaMia

Comment by ProudMammaMia (original poster) at 12:05 AM on Jul. 30, 2010

• He does not come around as often as he would like but he works full time, goes to school full time and had a girlfriend who works and goes to school full time that he tries to see as much as he can. He does call often to see how she is doing and will play and play with her when he is here.
    vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 12:11 AM on Jul. 30, 2010

• "Godparent" is nothing more then someone who takes gaurdianship of your children if something were to happen to both you and the children's father. That's their only responsibility under the title "Godparent". I didn't choose specific Godparents, because I want my children going to my sisters or my parents if something were to happen. I don't care which ones, I don't care if it's all of them. They're the only people I trust with my children, they're the only ones who'd get custody.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 12:13 AM on Jul. 30, 2010

• My children's godparents are carefully chosen. I want them to be someone my children can look up to, so they have to be good role models. I had a good relationship with my godparents as a child and thought I'd carry on the tradition. It really is only a title, but I'm still picky about who I choose.
    Desi_Momof4

Answer by Desi_Momof4 at 12:34 AM on Jul. 30, 2010

• God Parents have a HUGE role to me. They need to be someone you trust to take care of your children in case you and the father pass away. If you have family members like me then YOU WANT someone outside the family to take care of the kids for you. My mother n mother inlaw dont see eye to eye and I cant really say if one or the other would get along for the kids or battle for them. This friend has to be caring, loving, trusting, honest. Someone who you KNOW you can trust, Someone who you can consider as Family.
    wildcatamber23

Answer by wildcatamber23 at 12:41 AM on Jul. 30, 2010