What do you think about legalizing hemp?

If you are for it you might enjoy watching The Hemp Revolution. It's an older, low budget film but it has lots of good information.

If you are against it, you might consider watching the film to see if it changes your mind.

It can be watched instantly on Netflix. and is just over an hour long.

outstandingLove

Asked by outstandingLove at 12:28 AM on Jul. 30, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Industrial hemp, while the same plant as smokeable marijuana, has a regulated THC content of 0.3%. Smokeable marijuana has a THC content of 2% or higher. You would have to smoke approximately your body weight to get high, although inhaling that much plant matter would likely cause other problems before a buzz was achieved. Currently hemp in all forms is classified as a Schedule I controlled substance, and farmers are subject to arrest if they grow it without a permit from the DEA.

It's foolish. Pound for pound hemp is one of the most nutrient rich foods on earth, 1 acre of hemp can produce 20,000 gallong of ethanol. It can be made into nearly everything, from fibers to plastics. There's no reason for the continued prohibition of marijuana at all, but even less so for industrial growing. We have an energy crisis, a financial crisis, and a global food shortage. Let's think about this a little bit.
    Jenny-talia

Answer by Jenny-talia at 10:49 AM on Jul. 30, 2010

• I am fine with legalizing hemp for its potential uses as paper, oil, fuel, etc. I have mixed feelings about legalizing marijuana for recreational use. I don't think that people should be in prison for it when they did not commit a violent crime. On the other hand, I have seen too many people who started on that, and either wasted years of their lives and never had the motivation to do much of anything, or went on to use more dangerous drugs. Then again, prohibition of alcohol was not a great success. Hmm...
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 1:05 AM on Jul. 30, 2010

• I say legalize it. Hemp is the material they use to replace cotton and such right? It's not the drug. ANd it eliminates pollution and it would create more jobs for people if we grew it here. So legalize it!
    GinNTonic

Answer by GinNTonic at 12:53 AM on Jul. 30, 2010

• It is legal in North Dakota, Hawaii, Kentucky, Maine, Maryland, Montana, West Virginia, and Vermont. Vermont and North Dakota are still having issues with the DEA. But yeah lots of states are following suit and making it legal. I loved my hemp shakes when not preggers.
    Crissy1213

Answer by Crissy1213 at 12:58 AM on Jul. 30, 2010

• I am all for it!

Answer by older at 7:56 AM on Jul. 30, 2010

• I thought it already was, or at least in my state anyway. You did not ask but I am also 110% pro marijuana legalization, I see no downside to it only ups!!
    truthteller0722

Answer by truthteller0722 at 12:31 AM on Jul. 30, 2010

• I say go for it!
    Morgs7531642

Answer by Morgs7531642 at 12:37 AM on Jul. 30, 2010

• bumped ya!

Answer by older at 7:58 AM on Jul. 30, 2010

• I agree with Jenny-talia so much. Hemp is a completely renewable resource that has too many uses to list. It can even be made into pressed building material. Keeping it illegal is just silly.
    KelleyP77

Answer by KelleyP77 at 12:27 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• I think they both should be legalized and would help our country in many ways,
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 3:19 AM on Jul. 31, 2010