Ideas of where to look for a potential birth mom ?

I am trying to advertise as much as possible to be matched with a potential birth mom but 12 months latter to no avail. I was wondering if anyone out there knows or has tried and succeded on finding birth parents. Please no bashing. I am just asking.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:44 AM on Jul. 30, 2010 in Adoption

• I have known people belonging to large churhes who found matches through word of mouth that way. Also a couple I know advertised to every person they came into contact with, using a portfolio they created to hand out, to all their friends. They adopted in record time both their children and did so privately. I have a friend that was pregnant with a second child, she and her husband had no intention at their age to raise another, so they decided to have us parent. She was not pregnant after all - change of life issues. But a pregnancy test did turn up postive. They were stable, loving, had one child already - but not interested in parenting again. Well if it is the thought that counts then their thoughts were counting big time. I wasn't told of their choice until after they knew there never was a baby. So you never know....just put it out there and see what can happen.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 4:48 PM on Aug. 1, 2010

• I've seen ads in Cosmo, did you try there?
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 12:46 AM on Jul. 30, 2010

• We tried putting the word out to everyone we know that we wanted to adopt, and we kept hearing about situations that never turned into an adoption for us. We ended up adopting twice through an agency. I think that a lot of people think it would be cheaper to bypass the agency (we thought that), but I've talked with moms who adopted that way and many times they paid much more than we did. We used Catholic Charities. You could also consider foster-adoption, and I am not the one to advise you on that since I haven't done it. You would need to go through training and make sure you understand all of the things you are likely to experience.
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 12:51 AM on Jul. 30, 2010

• Are you looking for your parents or for someone to carry a child?
    Momforhealth

Answer by Momforhealth at 12:52 AM on Jul. 30, 2010

• There are agencies out there that handle advertising for just this purpose. The adoption itself is then handled via an adoption attorney. If you haven't talked to either an agency or an adoption attorney, that should be your next step (at least in my opinion). That will give you options along with what others have suggested here.
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 4:15 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• county office~we have college kids wanting to pick a family for relinquishment. you would have to sign up and have your house done and be licensed...you get free homestudy, court cost paid, training. Just a thought...a student might want your home done and you closely screened~any parent wanting to pick a forever family for their child can see this book of pages of families (we took a class on doing our page just for that book).
    surfcitymom

Answer by surfcitymom at 3:57 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• Guess it puzzles me why you would choose to advertise. I can't imagine finding aparents that way. Are you trying to avoid using an agency due to money or ethical issues? There are some few reputable adoption agencies.

I think most moms considering relinquishment wouldn't want to find potential aparents through a magazine, the Internet, etc. When you advertise too much, it comes across as desperation. Not bashing, just giving honest feedback.
    Southernroots

Answer by Southernroots at 1:20 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• Ask around where she was from or ole friends.gl
    mekarevell

Answer by mekarevell at 3:16 PM on Aug. 27, 2010