Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Step-Parent Adoption

My husband told me he wants to adopted DS. The only contact he had with bio-dad was when he was in 2007. DS will be 4 y/o in August. I'm the only one on his birth certificate and he has my maiden name. I was wondering if we can just put my husbands name on the birth certificate, and go to the court house to change the last name? Or would we have to go through courts? I was adopted myself but I realize step-parent adoption is a little different.

Answer Question

Asked by Apple_Pie2010 at 1:11 AM on Jul. 30, 2010 in Adoption

Level 13 (1,190 Credits)
Answers (6)
  • My dad adopted my step moms children, all 7 of them. He had to go to the court system, he had to get permission from the biological dad of the children. He did it so he could put those children on his insurance. What is really odd is that as much as I hate my father, those children hate him worse. As much as I cannot stand my step mom, her kids hate her worse. I hope your situation works out better then ours did. I guess the anger came because we used to get postcards from all the wonderful trips my dad took them on, long letters about the new lake house. My Mom got $40 a month in child support for 5 girls. Needless to say, for us, it was a disaster.


    Answer by Joeygoat at 1:32 AM on Jul. 30, 2010

  • You need to go through the courts. I'm going through this myself. I want to adopt my husband's two bio children who have had no contact with their "mother" for three years, and he wants to adopt my bio daughter who has never met the "father" and she's almost six. No child support paid, no contact will certainly help your case should he try to contest it. You may even need a lawyer. I know we have one.

    Answer by Aubles at 9:07 AM on Jul. 30, 2010

  • You will have to go through the courts to get it approved and legal. My husband adopted my son when he was 3 now he is 8 and so far it has worked out for us. I adopted my husband's son about a year ago.

    Answer by matthewscandi at 10:35 AM on Jul. 30, 2010

  • You will have to go through the courts to make it legal. If your Husband is the only Father he has ever known, I would definately takes the steps to make it happen. Best of luck.

    Answer by hsmominky at 4:40 PM on Jul. 31, 2010

  • My daughter had to go to Court to have her daughter's name chgd. Then Court ag to have her adopted having this scum bag loose his parental rights all together. Only time he asked abt her was when he was IN JAIL , other wise crack was his best friend.

    Answer by MyAngel003 at 9:34 PM on Jul. 31, 2010

  • Yeah go thur the courts to make everythang is the way it should be so no drama

    Answer by mekarevell at 3:15 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.