would you travel to Japan with a 2yo and a 10 month old, all expenses paid?

My inlaws want us to visit for Christmas, but I'm worried about traveling with the young ones. If you have any advice on traveling, pros cons, that would be great thanks!

avpriddis

Asked by avpriddis at 3:00 PM on Oct. 3, 2008 in Travel

• We're military so my kids are used to traveling all around the world and have since they were very young.

Have lots of distractions for them, but on long flights everyone walks around a lot so you won't be very disruptive if you have to get up.

Try to get your own row of seats, depending on the configuration of the plane.

And although I don't condone it for every day use, a Benadryl might come in handy (lest you bash, DH is a doctor and he suggested it). I never had to use it b/c my kids take traveling in stride.

Stay calm, confident and capable as I'm sure you are.

Enjoy!

MojitoMama

Answer by MojitoMama at 11:20 PM on Oct. 4, 2008

• I would, since all expenses are paid. That's a once in a lifetime experience. Definately take a lot of pictures. I would also look for an overnight flight so you and the kids can sleep. goodluck
    KatieMommy9303

Answer by KatieMommy9303 at 3:05 PM on Oct. 3, 2008

• I would!! My aunts sister has a four year old and a one year old and his family is from Japan as well. They have been out there several times. That is definitely worth it!! I would go in a hearbeat!
    Lucky you!!
    meriahmn

Answer by meriahmn at 3:11 PM on Oct. 3, 2008

• I would go too! That sounds exciting! We new moms have to keep in touch with the world and remember that we are women too, not just moms. If you would be willing to go if u had no kids, then go with them. I would be nervous too though : traveling out of country, logistics of not being able to take everything you want/need on the plane, crying babies, linking flights, etc... Still I think u should give it a shot- if it's a total disaster, then you know not to try again for a while, if u don't go u'll never know =)
    mommyof5boys543

Answer by mommyof5boys543 at 3:18 PM on Oct. 3, 2008

• Thanks! I'm feeling better reading your answers. I know it's such a great oppurtunity, for all of us! My inlaws are actually American, she is just teaching ESL on a Naval base over there.
    avpriddis

Answer by avpriddis at 3:20 PM on Oct. 3, 2008

• I wouldn't because you WILL NOT get me on a plane.
    I can swim better than I can fly.
    Other than that, I think it would be great for the family.
    Take lots and lots of video and pictures if you go.
    strozilove

Answer by strozilove at 10:28 PM on Oct. 3, 2008

• just be prepared for that stinkin flight. i went to ireland with my daughter when she was one and it sucked. really sucked and times that by two. man your asking for it now. good luck.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 12:48 AM on Oct. 4, 2008

• in fact my baby was so great someone even said that they didn't know a baby was on the plane but it took a lot of work to make sure she was comfortable but we sure weren't. my baby is just great at everything very calm so that helps.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 12:50 AM on Oct. 4, 2008

• give them gravol it'll knock them out and it will help with the motion sickness too..otherwise just have snacks, juices, toys, as much as you are allowed to bring with ya.
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 2:27 AM on Oct. 5, 2008