Whooping Cough...HELP!

I just found out that a girl at my work was sick on Saturday and has called in everyday since, because she was sick. she finally got to the doctor and found out that she has whooping cough! i have 2 kids, my dd is 5 and is up to date on all her shots. my ds is 4 months and is getting his second shot of DTap on the 4th. I didn't work with the girl on Sat. and I didn't work Sun., Mon., or Tues. How worried should I be about my kids getting it? How long is whooping cough contagous before symptoms start?

nickellmomof2

Asked by nickellmomof2 at 1:43 AM on Jul. 30, 2010 in General Parenting

• Even a little helps. But call your ped. I do everything natrually, and if I suspect that my kids have been exposed to something I load them up on a regiment of imune boosting supp and diet...but whooping cough is bactirial.. so i fyour worried, call your ped and ask what can be done. They may want to just test you or here to see if a percautionary round of antibiotics is needed.
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 2:31 AM on Jul. 30, 2010

• I really don't know much about whooping cough, but have you tried to google it?
    Erin814

Answer by Erin814 at 1:45 AM on Jul. 30, 2010

• call your ped and express your concern. Are you breast feeding? If so remember that if you were expopsed your body is already making antibodies and passing them to baby.
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 2:18 AM on Jul. 30, 2010

• i found it on Mayoclinic.com and it says that it can take 3-12 days to show any signs or symptoms...i am so worried. it also says that babies are more suseptable to it until after they recieve their 6month DTap. my ds is just about to get his 4 month!
    nickellmomof2

Comment by nickellmomof2 (original poster) at 2:04 AM on Jul. 30, 2010

• my ds use to be EBF but now that i'm back at work he prefers the bottle and will on BF as soon as he wakes up and right before bed, but at least he is getting some.
    nickellmomof2

Comment by nickellmomof2 (original poster) at 2:21 AM on Jul. 30, 2010

• yes adults can get whooping cough and carry it! it can be contagous for the first 3 weeks! you can find info at www.mayoclinic.com also, http://diseases.emedtv.com/whooping-cough/whooping-cough-in-adults.html. you can also google it.
    nickellmomof2

Comment by nickellmomof2 (original poster) at 12:57 AM on Aug. 1, 2010

• first of all "whooping cough" is Pertussis, it can not be had by an adult, but it can be carried, and you are required to vaccinate for pertussis, assuming you believe in vaccinations! It can save you kids life to get the vax! I dont know where you read that adults get sick form it, but not true! It is a childhood thing! Good luck, and please call your doctor...
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 4:43 PM on Jul. 31, 2010