Am I the only liberal nut (I love being called that) that is for the line item veto?

With the passing of the loverly bailout - wouldn't the line item have come in handy? Even in the hands of Bush?

FiveofaKind

Asked by FiveofaKind at 3:17 PM on Oct. 3, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• It could be considered unconstitutional since it means the President is changing the laws passed by Congress. Under our system, Congress makes the laws. The President approves or disapproves them. That's why I always think it is so sad (and funny) when people blame the sitting President for bad laws and government waste.

I'm not certain how a line-item veto law could be written to keep the spirit of the original intent of our system while allowing the President to get rid of the abuse that has become such a large part of the system but I strongly think it needs to be done.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 5:29 PM on Oct. 3, 2008

• I <3 the line item veto
    I'm not a liberal nut tho lol
    teri4lance

Answer by teri4lance at 3:21 PM on Oct. 3, 2008

• Oh my gosh YES! We NEED the line item veto. The "bailout bill" was packed so full of pork the thing oinked!
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 3:28 PM on Oct. 3, 2008

• line item good. pork bad.
    "soooo-eeeeeeeeeeeeeeee! pig pig pig pig pig!!"
    Abomnablesnogrl

Answer by Abomnablesnogrl at 3:30 PM on Oct. 3, 2008

• I'm not a liberal (I don't think) but I support line item veto. I work in mental health and support better mental health regulation, but what the heck were they thinking including it in the bail-out package (unless it was a requirement for those high paid executives to get treatment!).
    WD40

Answer by WD40 at 3:59 PM on Oct. 3, 2008

• On the surface, I support the line item veto but isn't it unconstitutional? Why? What makes it such? What is the down side to the line item veto?
    proud2Bmomma

Answer by proud2Bmomma at 4:03 PM on Oct. 3, 2008

• yes We need it...............I am liberal...oink oink
    PrincessRoo

Answer by PrincessRoo at 5:10 PM on Oct. 3, 2008

• Yes, that would be great to have the Line Item Veto.
    akhlass

Answer by akhlass at 9:52 AM on Oct. 4, 2008