Obama Supporters - How Can You Stomach Biden?

I'm watching the VP debate from last night and just listened to Joe Biden's spiel about it being "fair" to tax the rich because the poor are struggling!!! WOW!! That is straight socialism. How can you vote for Obama when this is his VP running mate AND do you support that? Oh - and he just said "We don't call that socialism. We call that fairness." Is that the kind of "fairness" you want?

proud2Bmomma

Asked by proud2Bmomma at 3:22 PM on Oct. 3, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• I wonder the same about McCain supporters and Palin.

Guess it is just politics and who connects with whom.
    FiveofaKind

Answer by FiveofaKind at 3:29 PM on Oct. 3, 2008

• It isn't fair. It is wrong. Granted many of the poor in this country are hard working people and may deserve a break. But too many feel it is their "right" to be given money, housing, transportation, etc without working for it.  Nobody wants to earn anything anymore. And now Obama/Biden wants to pile on MORE social programs without fixing what we have now. THAT'S lipstick on a pig.

Momtocccd

Answer by Momtocccd at 3:29 PM on Oct. 3, 2008

• FiveofaKind - you didn't answer the question. This isn't about McCain/Palin. This is about a VPOTUS nominee wanting to implement a CLEARLY socialistic plan into our republic and capitalistic country. Do you support the idea that the rich deserved to be taxed higher because the poor are struggling?
    proud2Bmomma

Answer by proud2Bmomma at 3:34 PM on Oct. 3, 2008

• and what do you call it when Palin says that the money made by oil companies should benefit the people of Alaska?

how is firing employees and hiring them back as nonbenefited contractors not redistributing wealth? or is it only problematic when the wealth is being distributed downwards?
    autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 3:35 PM on Oct. 3, 2008

• I wasn't exactly fond of McCain VP palin.
    firztimemom

Answer by firztimemom at 3:35 PM on Oct. 3, 2008

• I like Biden. I didn't until last night and I believe that he did great in the debate with getting our issues out there. People sometimes take the word "fair" and compare it to the word "equal." What is fair to one person may not seem fair to others. Its just the way it is. The rich are going to be upset, the poor are going to be happy if they raise taxes for the rich. Reverse it. Is it fair for those that make less to pay more in taxes than those that make more? No, thats not fair either. Unless we get a flat tax in this country, there will always be someone saying its not fair.
    MommyRust

Answer by MommyRust at 3:38 PM on Oct. 3, 2008

• BTW - I am not asking for a handout like many conservatives believe all liberals want. I am simply being asked to be taxed fairly based on my income. I am in the middle class and its ridiculous the amount of money I am taxed.
    MommyRust

Answer by MommyRust at 3:40 PM on Oct. 3, 2008

• Actually I did answer the question: you asked how can I stomach Biden.

I stomach Biden just fine. I find that McCain/Palin camp are twisting the words and the motives of the plan. Biden is discussing the AMT tax, and so is Palin, however Palin won't say the AMT tax. The plan is to move it to people making $250k not it's present place of $100k. M/P plan also talks about tax breaks to businesses and much much less to citizens - notice she used the word private sector, that does not clearly define citizens. So, what she said was a twist of what the reality is. What he said was an overview with out stating specifics.

And, they still boil down to sheer politics. I don't think either plan works to be honest, but I feel more comfortable with Biden than Palin. With Obama than McCain. And I am not a socialist.
    FiveofaKind

Answer by FiveofaKind at 3:40 PM on Oct. 3, 2008

• not that you called me one. :)
    FiveofaKind

Answer by FiveofaKind at 3:42 PM on Oct. 3, 2008

• I didn't say Palin's plan was without fault. I have a problem with adding ANY social program without fixing what we already have in place. Fix the housing programs, fix welfare, fix food stamps. They are all corrupt. And before anyone gets their panties in a giant knot, I am talking about the the people in charge and the people who abuse it, not the people who need it. It's like putting a band-aid on a bullet wound.

Momtocccd

Answer by Momtocccd at 3:49 PM on Oct. 3, 2008