for moms who have vegetarian kids in school or program

I am a vegan and raise my son as a vegetarian/organic animal biproduct eater. Pretty much he eats what my fiance and I eat..Unfortunately I could not get him into head start, which was a major bummer. I really wanted him to have that experience. But, I found this little day camp that I could walk him too everyday!! I am so excited to know he can still experience other kids and learn to be social.But, I have yet to talk to them about my son's diet. I am going Monday to get him registered.. how do I bring up the fact my son is not allowed to have milk and such? With the kids, they mainly drink soy milk or almond milk but he does drink organic milk on occasion. And any animal bi product has to be organic for him to be able to have it. It is sorta a compromise I have with my fiance ^_^ anyhoo.. I am willing to learn what they would normally have for snacks and try to match what the kids are having so he will not feel left

midnight11287

Asked by midnight11287 at 2:19 AM on Jul. 30, 2010 in General Parenting

• mi sister is vegetarian and she used to always pack her lunch for day camps and for school. Ask if the camp will allow you to pack a lunch for your son because you have him on a special diet. most camps got very pissy when they were asked to provide a lunch for my sister but didn't mind her brown bagging it.
    SolaraDarkset

Answer by SolaraDarkset at 2:27 AM on Jul. 30, 2010

• I worked at a summer camp for years... and the kids that weren't "allowed" to eat things always had a tuff time!! I always felt so bad for them. We did have a few older kids that chose to be vegetarian on their own - it wasn't a mandate from thier parents - and they did alright. I wish you and your child luck with this!!

Morgain

Answer by Morgain at 2:29 AM on Jul. 30, 2010

• I know it could be a tough time on him. That is why I want to try my best to match what everyone else is having. If they have candy or milk..juice or whatever.. i really want to try to make it as fair as I can. :) I hate the idea of him feeling left out, but it is warring with my hating the idea of him not having that time with other children in a different environment. Thanks for the best wishes.. I appreciate them. <3
    midnight11287

Comment by midnight11287 (original poster) at 2:35 AM on Jul. 30, 2010

• The easiest way (if you have a good relationship with your family doctor) is to bring a doctor's note stating your child's dietary restrictions, and plan to send all of his food and beverages. You may want to join a great support group for parent of vegetarians. http://groups.yahoo.com/group/vrgparents/

Answer by rkoloms at 9:58 AM on Jul. 31, 2010