Anyone know how to play the guitar?

Im very interested in learning.. I have no prior experience though so Im kind of nervous, lol. But anywho- if you do know how to play, how did you learn, how long did it take to learn and how long have you been playing for?

Also, any advice for beginners would be appreciated! Thanks all :)

xxMasonsMommaxx

Asked by xxMasonsMommaxx at 2:30 AM on Jul. 30, 2010 in Hobbies & Crafts

• I took 12 years of lessons as a kid. Acustic, NOT electric. Within 2 months I could play songs, by the first year I could make them up as I played. With ANY hobby how well you do depends on your level of intrest, how much you practice, and your desire to keep at it.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 2:21 PM on Aug. 1, 2010

• My BF is an amazing guitar player. Every night, we sit out on the patio- he plays while I sing. He gives me mini lessons every now & again. The only thing I can say to to be patient. It is really difficult & your fingers hurt. Good luck!
    stressedmomma13

Answer by stressedmomma13 at 2:34 AM on Jul. 30, 2010

• also. maybe check out craigslist or something to see if there is a teenage around who would give you lessons for cheap. Oh & if you do not already know how to read music, then go to the library & pick up a few books on how to read sheet music.
    stressedmomma13

Answer by stressedmomma13 at 2:38 AM on Jul. 30, 2010

• Awe :) Thats awesome. & Thanks so much for the advice & reply :)
    xxMasonsMommaxx

Comment by xxMasonsMommaxx (original poster) at 2:36 AM on Jul. 30, 2010

• Thanks so much! Very helpful advice indeed :)
    xxMasonsMommaxx

Comment by xxMasonsMommaxx (original poster) at 2:47 AM on Jul. 30, 2010

• My son plays. He taught himself in a couple weeks. He plays by ear and can read tabs and some notes. LOL He taught himself at 12. He is 14 now.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 7:50 AM on Jul. 30, 2010

• My husband took lessons growing up at a local music shop. I just bought my 5YO daughter a second hand guitar and he's currently trying to teach her how to play. I also know several people that taught themselves.
    Nindy

Answer by Nindy at 11:43 AM on Jul. 30, 2010

• My whole family plays...me I must not of got that music gene.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 1:17 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• I've played the acoustic guitar for about 6 years. It's very easy to teach yourself but you have to stick with it! I also would suggest trimming your finger nails because if they are long it will be so difficult to play!
    MilesMom88

Answer by MilesMom88 at 5:00 PM on Jul. 31, 2010