Do you know what the definition of Irony is?

If you think Alanis had it right I highly suggest you look it up in the dictionary!!!!

keyaziz

Asked by keyaziz at 3:28 PM on Oct. 3, 2008 in Just for Fun

• Yeah, I know... but it doesn't translate into cool lyrics now does it... LOL
    PaceMyself

Answer by PaceMyself at 3:41 PM on Oct. 3, 2008

• Haha, I think I love you. One of my biggest pet peeves is people saying something is ironic when it's really just coincidence or bad luck.
    Jmum

Answer by Jmum at 3:49 PM on Oct. 3, 2008

• Ahh interesting...cos I just looked these things up and in an american dictionary it says that ironic means coincidental? Is this a cultural thing then? Have americans got it wrong for so long its become accepted?

LOL
    keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 3:59 PM on Oct. 3, 2008

• It could just be the slang....

Growing up we were always told "ain't ain't a word because it is not in the dictionary"; Now today if you get a dictionary and open it up guess what "word" you will find? Ain't- and growing up I was told it wasn't a word. LOL

Word meanings also change. I love watching Disney Cinderella; Just because the fairy godmother tells Cinderella to go to the ball and be gay. Now if someone said they are gay it doesn't have the same meaning as it did 1950 (The year that Cinderella was made)

Gay in 1950 meant "happy"; Today it means an "homosexual". It still can be used as happy today, but it's not.....
    SAHMinIL

Answer by SAHMinIL at 4:10 PM on Oct. 3, 2008

• very childish of you to say don't you think?
    Anonymous

• YEAH
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 5:11 PM on Oct. 3, 2008

• i thought irony was a vitamin
    Anonymous

• Irony is me paying $96 today to go to the doc and have them tell me something i already know.. the same $96 I had saved up to book a room for me and my husbands anniversary next week. EXACT AMOUNT! Now we cant afford to go.. this happens every damn year we try to celebrate.
    Anonymous

• Here's a couple of entries from dictionary.com. I used to have a canned reponse for this question, but I forgot it. Is that irony?
    1. the use of words to convey a meaning that is the opposite of its literal meaning: the irony of her reply, “How nice!” when I said I had to work all weekend.
    2. an outcome of events contrary to what was, or might have been, expected.
    Jmum

Answer by Jmum at 12:04 AM on Oct. 5, 2008

• I mean response. Why isn't there spell check in Answers? I know, I know, proofread.
    Jmum

Answer by Jmum at 12:05 AM on Oct. 5, 2008