Universal Healthcare..For it or against it?

I'd just like to get opinions on why you do or do not support universal healthcare (as Obama is pushing for). I think thats one thing Sarah Palin hit the nail on the head with last night...if our government has screwed up so much for us why in the world would we want them to take over our Heathcare? And one other thing to keep in mind is that Canada has universal healthcare and it can take up to 3 months to get in to see a doctor...when you're sick, you don't always have 3 months, maybe not even 3 days for the more serious issues.

HayleyGM

Asked by HayleyGM at 3:31 PM on Oct. 3, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• I don't know if Universal Healthcare is the right answer, I certainly don't want to wait 3 months to see a doctor, but we need to make healthcare more affordable so more people can have coverage and they need to make it easier to get coverage if you have a pre-existing condition
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 3:42 PM on Oct. 3, 2008

• Im against universal healthcare. Although everyone needs healthcare, maybe the gov't should help make it more affordable, but not mandatory.

Russia had a universal plan of some sort, it was called communism. Everyone got the same amount, even though it was the bear minimum and sometimes not even that.
    GeishaTatMama66

Answer by GeishaTatMama66 at 3:42 PM on Oct. 3, 2008

• I agree with both of you. We do need more reasonable, affordable healthcare. I'm not sure if either candidate has proposed anything remotely like that.
    HayleyGM

Answer by HayleyGM at 3:47 PM on Oct. 3, 2008

• I agree. Canadian healthcare is rationed and can be very hard to get. If you have other health problems, you may be turned down for care because they feel it would be a waste of money to treat you for, say, advanced breast cancer when you have advanced heart disease too.
    England has universal healthcare too and I've heard horror stories from travelers who got sick over there. You are treated like cattle, not a human in their system. There is very little care in their health"care" system.
    People think government run healthcare would be free. It won't. Our taxes will go through the roof. We can't pay for all the social programs the government screws up now... how much more will the government need to pay for screwing up the healthcare system too?
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 3:48 PM on Oct. 3, 2008

• Oh yes and who will start to use our universal healthcare, all the illegal immigrants. We just need to make healthcare for affordable. I surely don't want the government regulating what doctor I can see. Nor do I want my child to wait that long to see a doctor.
    usmc0351wife

Answer by usmc0351wife at 3:50 PM on Oct. 3, 2008

• I think we should fix the social programs we have in place before adding another one to the steaming pile.
    Momtocccd

Answer by Momtocccd at 3:51 PM on Oct. 3, 2008

• Something needs to be done. I have a High deductible plan and I work for a big insurance company. Just for myself and my son I pay a $2500 deductible. This is crazy and alot of appointments has to be paid up front. I do not go to the doctor that often, but my son has been to doctor at least 1-2 times in a month. By the time I finish paying off the $2500.00 bill and few months later I have to start all over with a new $2500 deductible. it is sad that I have to pay over $300 for medical benefits and also make sure I take enough out to go in my HSA account.
    MarqsMom

Answer by MarqsMom at 3:53 PM on Oct. 3, 2008

• Amen to Palin. Working in healthcare, I see how badly run the government programs are--to the point where doctors don't want to take Medicare or Tricare. Just a little venting: why does the gov't feel it's okay to (impolite word) our elderly and military. It breaks my heart to turn these people away because my doctors have full practices and NO incentive to see patients with crappy insurance. McCain thinks changing the way they pay doctors is going to fix the problem. NOOOOOOO! How about paying doctors a reasonable wage for their services and not making them jump through hoops to get paid. Maybe if the system were more efficient, they could afford to do right by the people who deserve it. KEEP THE GOV'T AWAY FROM HEALTHCARE! (Not that I have a strong opinion.)
    WD40

Answer by WD40 at 3:58 PM on Oct. 3, 2008

• I also work in the healthcare field and have had to turn away many elderly and military. Some both...veterans. And its truly heartbreaking to see the frustration and hurt in their faces and you can't do a thing and have no answers for them. I agree, we need to make it easier for doctors to be paid and quit making them jump through hoops. And someone needs to start holding what companies there are out there more accountable for the benefits they provide...or so called benefits. And it kills me to hear people complaining about medicaid and how come they can't get one more FREE visit at MY expense..and all the other tax payer's expense. Its all infuriating.
    HayleyGM

Answer by HayleyGM at 4:02 PM on Oct. 3, 2008

• against universal healthcare
    Anonymous