What can I expect as far as my dog's behavior when I have this baby?

We have 3 dogs, Marley(11yr old pug), Abby (3 yr old maltese/shitzu), and Susie (2 yr old Pug) and we are their world and they are ours. I am 16 wks pregnant and just starting to wonder what will happen to them when they don't get the attention they are SO used to? Any tips on how to make it easier for them and us?

HayleyGM

Asked by HayleyGM at 3:37 PM on Oct. 3, 2008 in Pets

• Let them be around the babies things before the baby even comes. Let them get used to the new smells of new things in the house. Before you let the dogs actually around the baby, leave something that has the babies scent out for a few days within their reach that they can smell, maybe sleep with. Introduce baby and dogs in slow steps. They are going to be jealous, but a baby sleeps a TON in the first few weeks - month, so they have lots of time to adjust to this new thing in their house. And you will have lots of time to show your love for them and not make them feel left out. Remember, they are part of your family too, and they are going to need attention, just like an older sibling would with a new baby in the house.

Good Luck!
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 3:42 PM on Oct. 3, 2008

• First let me just say ...the dogs already know your pregnant. They'll probably know when your in labor too. hehe Ours dog did. From the beginning of the pregnancy...Barkley started coming and sitting at my feet . He never did that before. He also was very nervous and jittery when I began contractions at home.
    To add what Carolyn mentioned.....
    The night Giovanni was born, my hubby took a blanket that we had the baby wrapped in ( cheap receiving blanket) and brought it home for Barkley to have. SO he could get the smell of the new baby already. Barkley was a little bit jealous at first.....but after like 2 weeks he just became protective.
    When visitors would come to see the baby....and they were holding Giovanni...Barkley would go right next to them and watch . Barkley is GREAT with Giovanni now.....Gio crawls all over and he just lays there kinda enjoying it. It's cute to watch.
    I have tons of pics of them together.
    jjessers

Answer by jjessers at 3:53 PM on Oct. 3, 2008

• When my daughter was born every day when someone left the hospital i made them take a blanket or onsie that the baby wore with them and take it to my house and let the dogs sniff it. By the time i came home the smell wasnt new so they werent nervous. And now all i ask is when people come over they say hi to my dogs for a few minutes first so they know we still love them. and i make my husband walk them around an hour a day so they dont get jealous and still get special time alone.
    Kennadismom

Answer by Kennadismom at 3:04 PM on Oct. 4, 2008