Please someone help with my 16 month old!!

I don't really know what to do anymore.. I have tried everything from taking toys to timeouts.. I really need help at this point.. I had asked a question before about my 16 month old However, my 16 month old refuses no matter what we try it's just getting worst! After all of the biting the taking food from siblings making the other sibilings leave the room we have a bigger problem! We sent him to bed at 10 pm last night after we refused to let him have his way he slept until 12:37 last night.. Now we tried 9 different times to put him back to bed and he refused it and of course dear old mommy here got bit again! He didn't want it so he screamed until we really couldn't say anymore because of living in an apartment complex! Now it is 5 am and he decides he wants to go back to sleep... I can't stay up 24/7 and continue with his actions!! Someone please help!

Mommyof4224

Asked by Mommyof4224 at 5:02 AM on Jul. 30, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• We can't go anywhere he makes us leave... We can't pay attention to the other children or he stops us.. We sometimes have to make the other children leave the room cause he doesn't approve of them! I need some advice... I just can't do this anymore...
    Mommyof4224

Comment by Mommyof4224 (original poster) at 5:03 AM on Jul. 30, 2010

• I know I have had to warn my neighbors that my baby would be crying a bit at night because I had to get him back on a schedule, and he was getting extra fussy. No one rejected and even if they did, I wouldn't have cared because I wasn't asking permission. Just remember, for your sanity, you need to do certain things, and dealing with the crying for a few nights so he can tire himself out and then go to sleep may be what you need to do.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:06 AM on Jul. 30, 2010

• I'm confused, how is he making you do all of this stuff? He's barely 1?
    Here's a suggestion, even though it might suck at first, but allow him to have his fit, have one parent go outside with him, if you are out, and allow the fit, then he is going back in where the rest are and if he doesn't like it, Too Bad, He's one.

This, him controlling everything habit, you got yourself in is too much, and not good for anybody
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 5:08 AM on Jul. 30, 2010

• I don't really have any advice, but I do know that temper tantrums are just part of it at that age. What do the parenting books say? You have to be the one in control though because you are the parent. Do you think that your 16 month old is doing it for attention? Have you tried not reacting a few times. Maybe he/she is doing it because they think your reaction is funny........
    sherribeare

Answer by sherribeare at 5:49 AM on Jul. 30, 2010

• He's 16 months old. He can't *make* you do anything. He can toss tantrums and act out. It's your choice to let him dictate what happens from there. It's not easy, but be firm and do NOT give in once you've said no stick to it. He's going to continue this behavior because it works. He gets worked up ,he bites, he lashes out, he gets results. Tantrums are a normal part of toddlerhood. Your child lacks the verbal skills and emtional IQ to express his frustration in any other way. Give him the words. Be consistant in your disipline. No means no. 10 is late for a child that age. And being up all night is clearly creating a tired kid - which aggravates behavioral issues. Start a solid bedtime routine. Investigate sleep training methods and find one that your comfortable with then use it - consistantly or it won't work. Get him to bed much earlier. Reward good behavior - it goes a long way in encouraging more such behaviors.
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 6:13 AM on Jul. 30, 2010

• i think you need to take the control back in your house. he does not rule the roost- you do- you are mom! i dont think taking away his toys is the answer to your problems. at 16 months old, it is a hard thing to rationalize. i think you should let him scream it out and all the while, just ignore it. as for the biting, try teething tabs. they sell them at walmart and walgreens. they're all natural, smaller than a birth control pill, and disolve almost instantly. (most of the time, biting stems from teething.) teething tabs help soothe the discomfort and also will make him sleepy- which is always a plus when it comes to a cranky child. be firm, be patient, and i'm sure you will see change. good luck!
    brodysmama23

Answer by brodysmama23 at 6:39 AM on Jul. 30, 2010

• I will answer this the way I answered the other question. He cannot MAKE you do anything. YOU are choosing because you want to avoid a scene and it is working. YOU need to ignore is antics and just suck it up. Trust me honey. My son has autism and I have seen my share of tantrum in public and fits in apartments. If you stand by your guns, he will get the message that YOU are in charge and will stop.
    I also agree that 10pm is a bit late to send him to bed.
    Do you have a daily routine with naps and snacks? Does he know what to expect from day to day? This could help as well. But the biggest thing is to let him know that you are in charge. You have been letting him get his way. It will be hard for awhile because of this, but stay with it and you will see a change.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 7:05 AM on Jul. 30, 2010

• You need to tell him in an authoritative voice: NO! and look mean as you say it and if you have to set him down and even stand over him with crossed arms. Then you do not let him do anything different than what you say. Heck at this point, you may even have to give a little bottom pop just to bring him back to reality. Then, start over. I wouldn't even do time outs...I would simply say, "this is what you are going to do." no questions asked. He is 16months, not years.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 7:41 AM on Jul. 30, 2010

• Is he getting enough one on one time with you and DH? Does he get praise when he is doing something good? I don't know how many siblings he has but he may be getting the negative attention just so he gets some. Also maybe run this by his pediatrician. Let him/her know how stressful it is at home right now. That you really need help. I don't know if you can look at a couple of books on discipline. Dr Phil's is supposedly very good. And there might be others on problem children. These are just ideas. I wish you the very best. GL
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 9:45 AM on Jul. 30, 2010

• I would discuss this behavior with his doctor to rule out anything beyond your control or his. Once he has been given a clean bill of health, time to rule with an iron fist! He is little! This is totally unacceptable! I would say to your neighbors, he is going thru a stage, please bear with us until we force him to get past it...he is going to scream for a bit. Then totally ignore any and all behavior that is negative. Let him have a fit! Ignore him, the more you pay attention to it the more he will do it. He may be little but he is not stupid...and negative attention is better than none at all. Bite him back! Don't draw blood, but let him know that that freakin hurts! I read a book called Positive Discipline for Preschoolers and I loved it. Has great ideas in it. Good luck.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 10:00 AM on Jul. 30, 2010