Kindle or similar for students?

We are seriously considering this investment; we have friends who bought one for their teen last year, and put all of her textbooks on it.

It seems like a great tool for doing homework while commuting (my daughter's commute is 45 minutes in the morning, and as much as double that on the way home) and babysitting.

Asked by rkoloms at 6:59 AM on Jul. 30, 2010 in

• i'm not a student but i have a kindle. i LOVE it. i personally would have bought a nook from barnes and noble instead but i'm in germany for now and didn't have that option. nows a good time to buy kindles though. they are super cheap
    sweetpeatexas21

Answer by sweetpeatexas21 at 7:05 AM on Jul. 30, 2010

• It seems like a good idea to me! I remember carrying 20 lbs. of books around all day, and just having a lighter backpack would've been really nice. Plus, you can't damage a book that you carry electronically.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 7:14 AM on Jul. 30, 2010

• There are only a limited number of textbooks avalible in ebook format, so don't have visions of her downlaoding all her books. The university I attend is gearing itself more toward the tech of theIpad, so check with the school. I have had an ereader since they first came out over 10 years ago, it is a great toy, and I have had class mates with them, unfortunately the boooks for those classes were not avalible.
    emptynstr

Answer by emptynstr at 7:23 AM on Jul. 30, 2010

• The iPad is also nice and can do a lot more than the kindle. The kindle has the same contrast as a regular book though, so it's better for your eyes. Also, the kindle is on sale now, but all the readers are currently on sale (because of the iPad). I would go ahead and get a reader or iPad for your teenager though. It sounds perfect for her.
    sherribeare

Answer by sherribeare at 7:33 AM on Jul. 30, 2010

• The iPad is definitely not in the budget

Comment by rkoloms (original poster) at 7:35 AM on Jul. 30, 2010

• I have an older Kindle and I love it for reading regular books but it's not really so great for downloading anything that has illustrations (like cookbooks). I don't know if the newers ones are upgraded but I can see that being a problem with scholastic text books. Also it only shows one page at a time so if you wanted to look at an illustration in conjunction with what you're reading it would be a problem
    Syphon

Answer by Syphon at 7:56 AM on Jul. 30, 2010

• I love the idea of using it for text books! Would the less expensive text book price help offset the cost of the kindle?
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 8:03 AM on Jul. 30, 2010

• My spouse just suggested asking our daughter's guidance counselor. I am going to send her an email later today; teacher emails for the upcoming school year have not yet been posted.

Comment by rkoloms (original poster) at 8:03 AM on Jul. 30, 2010

• Lovinangels - I don't know yet, but I know that I have paid sixty dollars for a used text...

Comment by rkoloms (original poster) at 8:04 AM on Jul. 30, 2010

• i think it would be GREAT! lighter on the back too! ha!

i like making notes in books though... so for me it wouldn't work out as well...
    asil

Answer by asil at 7:43 PM on Jul. 30, 2010