Does anyone know if you can use BABy-Led Weaning for an older baby that has had pureed food?

My 11 month baby has had pureed food but I need to get her off of it and she seems to prefer it. Can baby led weaning work for an older baby that has been introduced to pureed foods? Does the book give information on my type of scenario?

whogoo

Asked by whogoo at 7:49 AM on Jul. 30, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You need to get her off the pureed food or the breast? I'm not sure what you're asking.
    Hazelnutkin

Answer by Hazelnutkin at 7:54 AM on Jul. 30, 2010

• Baby led weaning usually is about the breast.

Puree's just need to be slowly stepped up in thickness is she is having issues with picking up and eating soft chunks.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 7:59 AM on Jul. 30, 2010

• I don't no.
    queen.bee

Answer by queen.bee at 8:06 AM on Jul. 30, 2010

• Yes you can. the principles are the same. I do not have a book with me at the moment but you can go to www.babyledweaning.com and join the forums. And you can also read this babyled introduction to solids.

to other posters babyled weaning that the op is referring to is babyled introduction to solids. no purees or spoon feeds
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 8:37 AM on Jul. 30, 2010

• The book Baby Led Weaning is NOT about the breast that is child led weaning. It is a mostly European thing that involves starting kids on regular food and not purees. I tried purees with my first and he hated them so around 10 months I found BLW and started that and he loved it. I decided to not even try purees with the second and went straight to solid food. Right now the food is only for practice any way so just stop giving the purees and follow the BLW principles instead. I am not sure why you would need to get off purees though and if it is health issues I would make sure that BLW is okay then too.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 9:02 AM on Jul. 30, 2010

• Oh ok...I planned on skipping purees and go straight to solids. I just didn't realize it was a term for that. LOL Well, I learned something new.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:11 AM on Jul. 30, 2010

• I am not talking about breastfeeding but the new "in thing" of not feeding pureed food but going straight to regular table food. I don't have to get her off pureed foods, I just don't want to keep offering her that when she is now old enought to try finger foods but simply is not showing much of an interest in it currently.
    whogoo

Comment by whogoo (original poster) at 10:52 AM on Jul. 30, 2010

• Just keep offering her the foods that you want her to eat. Just put them on her tray, then your job is done. Make sure you offer a variety. If she is hungry and ready for it she will eat.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 10:59 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• Just keep offering real food, there is no need for pureed at all. If you have been giving her pureed all this time she may just not like the extra effort involved.
    happytexasCM

Answer by happytexasCM at 4:58 PM on Jul. 31, 2010

• I gave my children finger food at 9 months...they handles it well. I found with my first that the pureed foods left her VERY constipated!
    bookworm23

Answer by bookworm23 at 7:30 PM on Jul. 31, 2010