How do I get my two year old to sleep through the night again?

I have ten week old who sleeps all night about half the time, but now her sister, 2, has been waking up. I either get in bed with her or put her in our bed because i'm too tired to do anything else. Any other ideas? She has a gate on her door, but I'm afraid if I close it she'll wake up the whole house- and is that mean, anyway? Really hoping this is a short phase.

Hazelnutkin

Asked by Hazelnutkin at 7:52 AM on Jul. 30, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Sounds like she might just need a little re-assuring. Is she acting out any now that the baby is here? If so, she may be a bit jealous of the new one.
    ladyluke2007

Answer by ladyluke2007 at 8:04 AM on Jul. 30, 2010

• I only have one child, but I notice with her when she starts waking up through the night or her sleep schedule is disrupted, she's going through a growth spurt. She's slept through the night since she was 6 weeks old and minus teething or sickness, she's never had much of a problem. So when she's constantly up playing or sleeping late or not wanting to go to bed, and it lasts for about a week or two each time, she grows each time.

So if this is a recent change, maybe she's going through some sort of growth spurt? Or perhaps she's still trying to get accustomed to her new sibling.
    musicalbabe85

Answer by musicalbabe85 at 9:09 AM on Jul. 30, 2010

• I have a son who is turning 3 in Nov. when he just turned 2, he got a virus and stopped sleeping through the night - normal reaction as far as I read and talk to people - it usually going back to "normal" within a week or 2- but it didn't. He also then transitioned to a big bed since he climbed out of his crib.. there are usually reasons why it starts and I've tried everything in my power and method out there to help him get back to sleeping all night - like I said, that was 8 months ago - we still battle this - i've tried books, different styles and colors of nightlights, fans, no fan, special object, clothes I wore with my scent , back to styles from when he was an infant/baby. 2 different sleep books --happiest baby/toddler and no cry sleep solution, ending in bed with him, not going to him when he crys.. Sorry mom - I am bribing now and its getting better but It could be age/time too - GL!~
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 1:32 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• I have a similar situation as maxsmom11807. My DD turned 2 in January. She got sick in February, and I let her fall asleep on the couch for several nights. When we tried to go back to putting her to bed in her crib as usual, she wasn't going to have it! She has slept through the night since she was 3 months old, and now forget about it. In March we converted her crib to a toddler bed since she was just screaming. It was a very difficult transition. For months she would wake up in the middle of the night and we would let her climb in bed with us. When she goes to bed at night, one of us has to sit right outside her door until she falls asleep, otherwise she won't stay in bed. About a month ago, she got up in the middle of the night as usual, and instead of getting in bed with us, she wanted one of us to sit outside her room until she fell back asleep. Now she sleeps thru the night several nights a week. Good luck!
    pumpkins_mama

Answer by pumpkins_mama at 2:48 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• I can tell you that if I climbed into bed with my 2 year old or let him sleep with me, he would wake up every night too. I would stop giving into her for starters, it sounds like she has you wrapped arounfd her finger. Good luck!
    newmomma14

Answer by newmomma14 at 7:48 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• It isn't that I'm wrapped around her little finger. I'm exhausted. I have three kids under four. Thanks for the advice, ladies. She slept all night last night. Hoping it happens again tonight.
    Hazelnutkin

Comment by Hazelnutkin (original poster) at 11:56 PM on Jul. 31, 2010