Breastfeeding and periods?

My son is five months old and Im still breastfeeding and have yet to have a period is this normal? I had one the whole time I breastfeed my daughter.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:11 AM on Jul. 30, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• it is normal for some. I have a friend who didn't have a period for 19 months (when she weaned the baby) and then she got pregnant and never had one. She has to stop nursing to have a period. I don't know why it would change for you this time, but I don't think there is anything to worry about.
    Hazelnutkin

Answer by Hazelnutkin at 8:14 AM on Jul. 30, 2010

• After each of my older 4 kids, my period hasn't returned until my babies were 9-10 months old and eating more foods/nursing a little less often.

Answer by missanc at 8:37 AM on Jul. 30, 2010

• I nursed mine until 18 months and 35 months and my period returned around 15 months with both. It is very normal to not get it until around a year old or so, but since you did get it earlier with the first then I would be taking a pregnancy test just to be sure if you have had sex at all even with protection.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 8:58 AM on Jul. 30, 2010

• every woman and every pregnancy are different... helps keep you on your toes...
    oh yeah! still use protection... cause you never know when you're going to ovulate
    elizabiza

Answer by elizabiza at 12:05 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• Totally normal. :) With my 2nd daughter, I didn't have a period until I started giving her real food as well as breast milk... at around like 12 months is when I think that was. My son is 6 months old and I don't have a period now. It's nature's own birth control. ;)
    Autumn22

Answer by Autumn22 at 12:30 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• My daughter is 11 months old and I have yet to have my period.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 12:46 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• After my first, my period didn't come back until I was done breastfeeding. And so far I haven't had my period during the 4 months since I had my son.
    bbchic

Answer by bbchic at 9:58 PM on Aug. 1, 2010