How much do you spend on school clothes?

queen.bee

Asked by queen.bee at 8:13 AM on Jul. 30, 2010 in General Parenting

• I buy clothes for my boys year round--as needed--replacing clothes that are too small and worn out. I usually don;t buy clothes for the first day of school, since it is in August, and they can continue wearing their summer clothes into October! But when I DO go shopping, and stock up on the basics--shirts, pants, socks, underwear, I spend about $300 for both boys--which usually buys them 4-5 tops and bottoms each--depending on the sale. I usually only buy 1 really good pair of sneakers for each for the school year and a good pairs of sandals for warmer weather each year--probably spending $40-$50 for each pair of shoes (up to $200).
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 8:27 AM on Jul. 30, 2010

• Well.... as a low income parent with seven kids, I have limited clothing funds. Some of my teens hate it, but we do almost all our clothes shopping at Goodwill, Salvation Army, other resale shops or garage sales. I look for the fad brands for the teens (Aeropostle, American Eagle, Hollister...) which means they will actually wear them, and their friends don't know the difference! We only buy new for shoes, underwear and occasionally jeans when I can't find used in their size when we need a new pair. We generally only buy clothes to replace what they already have that's wornout or outgrown.
    mamahobbit

Answer by mamahobbit at 8:19 AM on Jul. 30, 2010

• I had to buy uniforms this year :( I spent about 200...I can usually get their clothes for less than 100 from goodwill or Ross.
    bumblebeestingu

Answer by bumblebeestingu at 8:23 AM on Jul. 30, 2010

• for our one kindergartner, i purchased one pair of shoes, about 6 tops/3 bottoms, some new socks....it came to less than $100..but i'm still looking for more bottoms, preferably some pants, although he won't need them until the weather turns..and around here that could be octoberish.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 8:42 AM on Jul. 30, 2010

• My kids school is a uniform school. So I try not to purchase so much but it quite a good amount.
    AngieB615

Answer by AngieB615 at 9:19 AM on Jul. 30, 2010

• We don't buy "school clothes" we just replace clothes as needed.  We don't have any extra money this year so the kids will have to make do with what they have for as long as they can.  I shop almost exclusively at Target and 99% of the time on the clearance rack.  Only recently we started shopping the Kohl's clearance racks.  The kids do all need new shoes for school so that will probably be all we buy.  Right now the baby needs clothes more than they do.  He has like 15 onesies and 5 jammies and that's it.  I have to wash his clothes every 3 days because he goes through 2-3 ourfits a day (sometimes more because of diaper leaks and spitting up).  He'll be outgrowing half of the that stuff in the next few weeks, too.

justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 4:05 PM on Jul. 30, 2010