Switching to milk...

When my dd was 2 months old she was switched to soy formula, because the doctor thought she may be lactose intolerant. Over the last couple months I started to give her small quantities of dairy, like yogurt cheese etc. She seemed to do fine with those. I talked to her doctor and she said that since she had no reaction to those then when I switch her to milk try regular first to see if there is a reaction and if there is then give her soy milk. Well needless to say we had to stay at my mils and she ran out of formula until my df got outta work, we had to give her milk, which was whole milk. She loved it and had about 3 bottles of it. The next day however she had really wet loose stool, just like diarrhea but only 2 diapers. She was a little fussy as well but not too much out of the normal. Would I consider this a bad reaction or a normal reaction to just switching to milk?

SabrenaLeigh

Asked by SabrenaLeigh at 8:36 AM on Jul. 30, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I think it sounds more like it was just a reaction from going from one to the other. I also had a baby that seemed iffy on the regualr formula and we gave her special. Then found out it wasn't formula at all that was the issue, but acid reflux. Since she is on table foods, she eats plenty of dairy. She loves cheese, and yougurt, and ice cream. I am soon starting to switch her over to vitamin d milk. I would just give it to her a few more times and see then if it comes out runny again. I mean it's just like us and spicy foods, somethings are prone to give you the runs , period! Then other things will give you the runs until your used to it, even meds will do it. Good luck, I hope some of this helps .
    hanna06

Answer by hanna06 at 10:52 AM on Jul. 30, 2010

• hmm could be either.. try getting some lactose free or soy milk and try that if same reaction might be just the switch from formula
    oppsdiditagain

Answer by oppsdiditagain at 8:38 AM on Jul. 30, 2010

• Those can be signs of lactose intolerance, but it may also be a food that her digestive system isn't used to yet. The yogurt and cheese you gave her probably didn't have much lactose in them—the bacteria that turn milk into yogurt and cheese eat up most of the lactose. Try her on small amounts of regular milk, like 1 oz. at a time during spoon feedings, and see if she shows signs of gassiness and liquidy poop afterwards. If those amounts seem OK, try to gradually increase the amounts of milk, watching for signs of gassiness and diarrhea.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 8:43 AM on Jul. 30, 2010

• That is alot of milk to go from not having milk, to having 3 bottles. That would shock any ones system. It is something that needs to be introduced slowly. Like an ounce a day for a couple days, then if no reaction move to 2 oz a day, etc. Very slowly. Milk has proteins in it that are very hard to digest. Especially for immature tummies :) Also, the live cultures in yogurt help to break down those proteins so when introducing the milk, give yogurt daily as well. And good luck :)
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 10:16 AM on Jul. 30, 2010