Going from working part-time to full-time in September. Help!!!

I have 4 kids (15, 13, 10 -- all girls, and a 5 year old son). I will be going from part-time to full-time in September and I am getting anxious about it. I have been part-time since my daughter was born and need to go full-time. Any help with how to organize my household in order to make a smoother transition. Any advice from anyone in similar situation. I hate the thought of my son going to kindergarten (all day) and I'm not there to hear all about school like I have been for my girls. I have never had a very structured, organized household so I know I need to get this together. Any advice would be so appreciated!!!! This is something I knew was going to happen eventually, but it's happening sooner than I had hoped!! I feel good that I can work full-time because we definitely can use the money, but I feel bad that I won't be around as much as I used to and feel like my son is getting short changed and I'm sad!!

Frankie64

Asked by Frankie64 at 9:11 AM on Jul. 30, 2010 in General Parenting

• I think you would need to give more responsibility to your fitteen year old. If a problem arises your fifteen year old should make a point of alerting you to it. As far as your son being in Kindergarten all day; I think it's a safer way to go since you know he will be supervised in a structured environment.
    CafeMochaMom1

Answer by CafeMochaMom1 at 9:17 AM on Jul. 30, 2010

• Are you a single parent? If so, it's time that ALL of your girls learn to pitch in and help around the house!! The older ones can do laundry, help make meals/snacks for the younger ones (if you prepare meals ahead of time that can be reheated/cooked easily it will help greatly--things like lasagna, casseroles, mac and cheese--can all be prepared or cooked and refrigerated or uncooked and frozen--ahead of time and then thawed/reheated on demand!), and the older ones can help the younger ones with keeping their personal spaces/bedrooms clean/tidy!

I would try and find a time when your son is home form school that you can take a few minutes (ie: bathroom break) to call him and ask about his day. Then, even though you will be tired, try and plan some time together when you get home to go over his classwork,read to him, and any homework he may have.

You can create a daily/weekly chores schedule.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 9:18 AM on Jul. 30, 2010

• Also, will you be working "9 to 5ish?" If so, your children will only be on their own for 3+ hours...just make sure that the 15 year old doesn't become the permanent babysitter, and doesn't get to do anything that teens typically want to do! When you get home, make sure to "relieve" her of her duties!!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 9:20 AM on Jul. 30, 2010

• Do as much planning as you can at night. (assuming you will work during the day) for lunches, any school forms filled out, getting clothes ready, etc. Maybe check with each child that they are ready for the next day before they go to bed....homework, clothes. Make sure you are tuned into your 5 year old's needs. Don't go overboard, but make sure you have a little private time with him maybe at bedtime or days off to know how things are in his "world". Just ideas. Good luck!!
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 9:29 AM on Jul. 30, 2010

• Plan meals and snacks, including bagged lunches, at least a week at a time. Keep the freezer well stocked with chopped vegetables, cooked brown rice, cooked beans and lentils, soup, chili, etc.
    Use your slowcooker once a week.
    Cook pasta at night, so you have it for the next couple of nights.

Definiitely look into working remotely; for example, I used to work from home from 4-6 am, and for a couple of hours in the evening; I rarely needed to be in the office for more than five hours a day. Some days, I worked from home the whole day.

Answer by rkoloms at 9:52 AM on Jul. 31, 2010