When did you move your child to a booster seat?

The box reads "40 - 100 lbs" and "at least 43 inches tall" and "recommended for children ages 4 and up". My son currently uses the one with the back attached to it but really wants one of the Toy Story backless ones. He falls withing the height & weight limits (he's 50 lbs and 45 inches) but he's just 3 1/2 years old. Does the age really matter as long as he's within the height/weight limits? Or should I hold off another 4 1/2 months till his 4th birthday?

EwansMommy

Asked by EwansMommy at 9:13 AM on Jul. 30, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• You know, that's a funny thing. I moved Mason into a bigger car seat when he was two. He actually can still use it at 5 because it was for up to 80lbs. It had the two shoulder straps and such... well I recently bought him a highback booster for up to 100lbs. that uses the car's seatbelts. He loves it. It has arm rests and cup holder, and even map lights. LOL... He can get in and out without assistance and the seatbelt is positioned perfect. The backless one didn't seem comfortable for him in my car. :)
    WoodWitch

Answer by WoodWitch at 9:27 AM on Jul. 30, 2010

• You'll need to check your local laws, they are always changing and adjusting the minimum age for everything.
    I put my girl in a backless booster at around 3 1/2, and she also fell well within the height and weight limits. All the back does on those is to keep the shoulder belt off their neck but if they're tall and big enough for it to stay off on it's own, I see no reason for the back. You could also sit him in a backless one and see where the strap falls on him in your car. Some seats sit lower, some seatbelts are higher.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 9:16 AM on Jul. 30, 2010

• Check your state laws. I'm in Texas, and the law is age 4 for a booster. Also, is he mature enough to sit in it correctly without trying to get out of the seatbelt?
    andrea96

Answer by andrea96 at 9:19 AM on Jul. 30, 2010

• I also moved my daughter into a booster around 3 1/2, She fell in the height and weight limits also. I think it also has alot to do with the child's maturity. I know, how mature can they be at that age right? lol I just mean whether or not you can trust them with the regular seat belt rather than the harness.
    Ctink8189

Answer by Ctink8189 at 9:20 AM on Jul. 30, 2010

• Thanks, Kiwi! I think the back comes off of his current one so I'll sit him on that and see where the belt hits. He's so dead set on anything Toy Story that when he saw that seat, he had it in his mind that he was getting it. Luckily, I told him he has to be a little bigger to fit in it so I avoided a tantrum. But everyday, now, he asks if he's bigger. lol
    EwansMommy

Comment by EwansMommy (original poster) at 9:21 AM on Jul. 30, 2010

• His current seat doesn't have a harness, just the seatbelt through the loop in the back. Once in a while he tries to slip his arm out so he can reach the DVD player and open it up, but for the most part he wears the seatbelt perfectly. And as soon as we say "Put your arm back in!" he does. Who knew little things like this would be so confusing? lol
    EwansMommy

Comment by EwansMommy (original poster) at 9:24 AM on Jul. 30, 2010

• You really need to check the laws. A friend of mine was told that her 6 year old had to be in a booster because of her height and weight. This is in Oregon.
    dragonlady44

Answer by dragonlady44 at 9:26 AM on Jul. 30, 2010