Is my 25 month old eating too much?

My daughter is 25 mo. & eats SO much. She always has, since birth when I was breastfeeding and worried she wasn't getting enough, doc had me supplement w/ formula, 'until she was full'-it never happened, she'd drink and drink...and this has gone on for 2 years. She has NEVER ever been not hungry, will sit for 2 hours at her highchair or table if we'll keep feeding her. Would often rather eat than play....
Can anyone tell me (specifics) how much and what your 25 mo. old eats a day. I am worred about portion size and just how much she always wants. I do give her VERY healthy foods due to this, lots of fruit and veggies and she loves them, so it isn't just junk she wants to eat, but my fear is if were not here, would she just eat and never stop?? OR am I making the probelem worse by trying to limit how much she eats because when I compare her eating to other s her age and she eats so much more. She's never been picky either

otterhongkong

Asked by otterhongkong at 9:17 AM on Jul. 30, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• well if she is in perfect weight for her height and that.. then im sure she is fine :) my 20 month old is soooo fussy and always was can never get her to eat ANYTHING so i wish she would eat! shes now 23lbs and healthy so i dont worry bout it :)
    oppsdiditagain

Answer by oppsdiditagain at 9:22 AM on Jul. 30, 2010

• I guess it would depend on her metabolism. Is she burning it off or is she overweight?

Typically they say (Food & Drug administration) that a 2 year old should get (and they have changed this all the way around for adults too):
    --at 2 years of age two tablespoons is a portion--
    7 Veggies a day
    5 Fruits a day (balance between juice and foods)
    Balance between cups (4 ounces for 2 year old) of diluted half and half juice, and cups of milk
    Then the rest is the same as for an adult on the food pyramid
    2-3 servings of meat
    2-3 servings of dairy (balance between milk and foods)
    6-11 servings whole grains

Hope this helped!

I literally just did a nutrition class at the Health Department on Tuesday... so this should be up to date! :)
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 9:34 AM on Jul. 30, 2010

• Looking at the pictures on your page she looks completely healthy! :)

Maybe she is just a slow eater and at the rate she is eating it just seems to you as if it is all day that she is eating when really she is just eating slowly and the meals are stretching out.
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 9:35 AM on Jul. 30, 2010

• how much does your lo weigh? my 25 month old weighs 28lbs and is at the 48% for her weight. she eats pretty good but i'd say normal for her age. gl
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 9:35 AM on Jul. 30, 2010

• Forgot to say, she is 35 inches tall and 28 lbs. not overweight at all, but again, I 'police' her with the food.
    Oh, and she is definitely NOT a slow eater, she shoves it in as fast as she can and will do that as long as we let her! hence my worry!
    otterhongkong

Comment by otterhongkong (original poster) at 9:49 AM on Jul. 30, 2010

• If her growth curve is stable, if she's not increasing in weight-to-height ratio, there's nothing to worry about. She may just have a high metabolism.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 10:25 AM on Jul. 30, 2010

• My son is the same exact way. Except he is 13 months. He eats and eats and eats. He will eat anything that doesnt eat him first, and i mean all day long. I talked to his pedi and she just said its cause hes way active and has a fast metabolism. He is not fat. He was 31.5 inches (92nd percentile), and 22lb 2oz (40th percentile) at his 12 month appointment. So hes prob close to the same height, maybe a little taller and about 23LB. As you can see he is way taller than he is heavy. As long as she isnt heavy, i would let her eat. Thats what my pedi told me to do, and i do :) I just make sure its healthy and of wide variety! Dont worry, shes fine :)
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 10:26 AM on Jul. 30, 2010