Lice in a home daycare setting....

I have 3 children and watch 2 other children. These two children have lice and have had it for almost a month. I know they are getting treatments but they still have it. I have offered to help the family with cleaning the house as some sites suggest and also with combing through the kids hair and checking that they are as clear as possible.
Am I wrong to not want to have these children in my home while they have lice? So far neither myself or the kids have gotten lice from the situation. I used to work in a daycare and saw how a lice infestation could break out, rather easily too! I have 2 more children starting with me soon and don't want to be the one to say hey your kid got lice at my house. I am seriously considering canning the whole home daycare thing, this is my home!

AmandaH321

Asked by AmandaH321 at 9:20 AM on Jul. 30, 2010 in General Parenting

• You have the right to tell them stay home until they are lice free, you have a responsibiltiy to your family and any other kids you watch. This is a learning experiement and you should put that in your contract when you get more children. It is not fair to you and the other parents.

Don't let one problem bring you down, if you like owning a day care. You need to be ready to deal with alot more. You have to be upfront or people could take advantage of you.

They need to deal with it not you, and if you were willing to help they should have been willing to let you. Now they are risking everyone.
    KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 9:33 AM on Jul. 30, 2010

• I would just say that they can't come until the lice is clear. It's just the same as saying that they can't come if they have a fever, chicken pox, etc......
    sherribeare

Answer by sherribeare at 9:23 AM on Jul. 30, 2010

• You need to tell them to stay home until they are lice free, just like any other daycare/school would. If I was planning on using an at-home daycare and I found out that 2 others kids had a chronic lice condition you could bet your ass my kids would never walk into that house and I'd find another place for them to go. I'm not saying it's the parents' fault. It happens. But they need to get that fully taken care of before they come back.
    deadheadjen

Answer by deadheadjen at 9:27 AM on Jul. 30, 2010

• I think you need to tell them they can't come back until they have completely gotten rid of the lice. Kids are sent home from school/daycare when they have it so you are definitely in your rights to enforce this rule. Good luck to you:)
    shanlaree

Answer by shanlaree at 9:24 AM on Jul. 30, 2010

• That's horrible! I remember when my son's school had an outbreak of them. It was at a Halloween party that he ended up with them at. One apparently got into his costume. I spent well over a month getting rid of these "things." Vacuuming, washing hair with lice shampoo, since everyone in the house can end up with them since they jump, and washing sheets and pillowcases in hot water to destroy their presence.
    CafeMochaMom1

Answer by CafeMochaMom1 at 9:27 AM on Jul. 30, 2010

• I think in all fairness to the other children you should ban the children until they are lice free. It would not take much for the others to get it, and for the lice to be a long ongoing issue. Also if the other children's parents find out that some have lice, they may pull their kids or get mad at you if their children catch it.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 9:34 AM on Jul. 30, 2010

• Just like in school they have to have a release saying they are cleared! When they are cleared of lice then welcome them back but untill then I would not want them in my home. I have also dealt with lice and it is not fun! Way to much work and my poor dd's head... OUCHIE'
    Judmr

Answer by Judmr at 9:34 AM on Jul. 30, 2010