questions for mom's whose kids have had lice and not allowed back to school/daycare till they were gone

What was it like for you? I run a home daycare and don't want the children with lice in my house, period, it's my home. The mother of the children with lice works and is the main bread winner in her family so I understand that it's not ideal for her to take time off of work. Anyway the reason for this question is to give me some insight as to how things may be for her. I still don't want her children with lice in my home but I'd like to understand where she's coming from. She pretty much expects me to have her children in my house with lice and dosen't seem to mind having unsuspecting people in her house looking after her kids when I refuse.

AmandaH321

Asked by AmandaH321 at 9:48 AM on Jul. 30, 2010 in General Parenting

• I'd ask for a doctor's note from their pediatrician stating they are free from lice before they could return.

As a working mom, if one or both of my kids had lice I'd have to suck it up and stay home until the problem was gone. That's just the way it is. That's part of being a working mom; the kids get sick or have issues that keep them from school then you need to stay home until it's resolved. I appreciate your concern for her situation but you need to watch out not only for your business but your kids as well.
    deadheadjen

Answer by deadheadjen at 10:33 AM on Jul. 30, 2010

• Actually, the timeliness of your question is good - there was a guideline released earlier this week by the American Academy of Pediatrics on head lice. It is their first update in 8 years, and it talks in length about children's exclusion from school/day care.

First, it's critically important to know, for sure that the child does have a positive diagnosis of head lice. Almost 1/2 of all are misdiagnosed. It's also important to know, if positively diagnosed, what treatment is being done.

I'd highly encourage you to read the report. You can find it on Google by entering search terms for "head lice American Academy of Pediatrics Clinical Update'.
    If not, please let me know, and I'll try to get it to you.

There were 2 studies recently that showed the likelihood of transfer to home/school from head is extremely minimal thus their bases for not excluding kids. General housekeeping should eliminate any in your home.
    DanaDWeb

Answer by DanaDWeb at 9:56 AM on Jul. 30, 2010

• You need to take a BIG stand on this one....if you were really going to handle it you could call CPS for her not handling her childrens lice.

Her children DESERVE for their mother to take care of them and their problems.

Sounds like she is a neglectful mom.

Tell her you are not allowed by the state to watch a kid who knowingly has lice. (not sure if this is true, but sounds official)

You CAN NOT allow the kids back into your home or you will be having to get rid of the lice with your own kids and furniture etc.
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 9:54 AM on Jul. 30, 2010

• I'm aware of the release of the report and have read it and several other sites offering info. That's all fine and well but this isn't my work place it's my home and my family and other children put in my care because their parent's trust me.
    I'm just trying to get some understanding on the parent's side of things in this case. I'm pretty sure that if my kids had lice I would not be taking them to school, church, friends houses or any other place where children can be affected by this until I had throughly taken care of the issue. I am aware of the difference between lice and dandruff and other debris that can be found in children's hair. I used to work in a daycare and was one of the 2 top lice inspectors(for lack of a better word). I can tell the difference between a live egg and an empty or dead egg. I just want to have more understanding as to where this mother is coming from.
    AmandaH321

Comment by AmandaH321 (original poster) at 10:05 AM on Jul. 30, 2010

• They would NOT be allowed in school with lice.

If the student is sent home with lice from school, they MUST be checked by the school nurse prior to them being able to return to school.

While I understand she must be stressed being the primary breadwinner (I've been there) she also needs to be responsible for her children.

BTW, I've seen the new study, but as a teacher, I've seen how easily it does spread. I've had lice outbreaks in my classroom. Not pretty. Especially the phone calls I get from the parents.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 10:09 AM on Jul. 30, 2010

• I dont think I can understand where this mother is coming from b/c I feel like its neglectful to ignore your childs problem. If my kids had lice I would do everything required immediately for them to get rid of them.

Its not fair for the child to have to endure the itching and embarrassment b/c their mom doesnt want to take time off work. I dont treat my kids like that! They are my children and I am responsible for caring for them!

She is the mom, she needs to figure out how to handle this...NOW!
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 10:12 AM on Jul. 30, 2010

• I don't entirely trust her doctors word that the lice are gone. She had them at the doctor's one evening and the next day brought them to me saying they we're lice free and I still check because I need to have peace of mind about it. I found eggs on both kids and also crawlers on the one child. Now they were just newly harched crawlers and were the smallest I've ever seen so I don't hold much weight to her dr sayign they are cleared.
    AmandaH321

Comment by AmandaH321 (original poster) at 11:25 AM on Jul. 30, 2010