Home child care providers

Have you had to deal with children coming to your home with lice and how did you handle the situation?
Did you have an outbreak or any other person in your care or family get lice too?
Do you refuse care if they are still infested or do you allow them back into you home on their word that they did a treatment and their kid is lice free?

AmandaH321

Asked by AmandaH321 at 9:50 AM on Jul. 30, 2010 in Money & Work

• I would NOT allow anyone in my house knowing they had lice. I have a list of communicable diseases in my handbook I give to each parent and lice is on that list. Once it gets in your house, its like hell to get out.
    If I have to send one home for lice, I DO do a check with the parent who is dropping off in the morning to make sure they got every nit out. I've never had one return with the lice though.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 9:59 AM on Jul. 30, 2010

• I don't care for kids in my home, but my mom does. I've helped her from time to time.
    There was a little boy who got lice, he was scratching at his head and mom looked and found it. She told his mom about it and she brought him back the next day, saying it was all gone. She kept them on the porch and looked at his head herself to make sure and the boy's mom had missed some or something because there were still some eggs. She just told them that she'd cleaned her house and gotten rid of any that may have transferred and couldn't keep him with the other kids there. She told the mom that if she wanted to, then she could bring him back that evening and they'd sit out on the porch (it was spring and nice out) and mom would help his mom get rid of them. Luckily, no one else got it and mom helped his mom get rid of them and explained how to get rid of them in the home. The next morning he was all good.
    Hope this helped. :-)
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 9:54 AM on Jul. 30, 2010

• They need to be picked up as soon as it's discovered and they have to be nit free to return.
    Jessica157

Answer by Jessica157 at 10:18 AM on Jul. 30, 2010