Does your 8 year old destroy everything?

My 8 year old acts like a 3 year old sometimes. He destroys everything he gets. Earlier he was standing on the $500 desk that his father built him jumping up and down and throwing his wii games around the room! I was so frustrated with him for doing this! He was also climbing on the tv in his room acting like a crazy person! I just don't understand. I have no idea what to do anymore. I told him he is not getting ANY more wii games until he can start taking care of the ones he has.. It stinks but I know he won't ever take care of them.. Because we have been through this more than once! Do your kids do this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:58 AM on Jul. 30, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• My son acts out when he plays video games. We have limited to his video game playing to no more an hour a day, and he has to earn that hour. He is 7.5
    queen.bee

Answer by queen.bee at 10:00 AM on Jul. 30, 2010

• My son has never destroyed a thing. His toys from birth are still good condition and look brand new. His console games from age 4 are still all good and working (Even though he played violent games and watched violent movies from birth). He may get mad at me if I tell him no to something, but, that's it..he only gets mad. He will never act out like that. He was taught not to and he would have gotten grounded or a spanking depending on how severe the action was.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:04 AM on Jul. 30, 2010

• No, sorry.
    Lullababy

Answer by Lullababy at 10:10 AM on Jul. 30, 2010

• oh yes. anything i give any of my kids ages 8, 7 or 5 get brocken, my boys don't have a dresser because they pulled out the drawers and jumpd on them. my daughter needs a new mattres because the 3 of them have ripped it until you can see the inside. it goes on and on. we have stopped buying them anything exspensive because they just destroy it. can't help you out, just letting you know you are not alone.
    happy-go-lucky

Answer by happy-go-lucky at 10:16 AM on Jul. 30, 2010

• Take all of the things in his room away. He is not entitled to anything except 3 meals a day, a roof over his head and clothes on his back. Everything else should be earned, everyday. My son earns his game systems so, he is less likely to destroy them because he will have to earn the money to buy them again. He sounds VERY SPOILED, especially when you say you won't buy him anymore games but, you don't mention taking away the ones he has. For every misbehavior take something out of his room, if he continues take more things, eventually he will behave or he will be sleeping on the floor. Take the Wii and the TV immediately.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 10:21 AM on Jul. 30, 2010

• My oldest son never really broke anything. In fact all he did was take pans/videos out of the cabinets as a baby. My youngest would play hard so things did break. But not at 8. It took alot of work but DH when he was laidoff followed them around and correcting their behaviors. Now they are well behaved. My youngest is going through tween phase and gets side tracked occassionally but he is easy to get back on track. My oldest has a mild teenage attitude but I think it is more he is trying to be like other kids but it comes off bad since that is not his personality.

Just take things away when he acts up and it should correct itself. I also took away certain shows/and it took a long time for me to buy Bakugon because it was fansty violence. He knows if he evers acts it out the game is gone.
    partiesbyjan

Answer by partiesbyjan at 3:08 AM on Jul. 31, 2010