question about lice. please no bashing.

Iabout about to pull my hair out literally. I have five kids (all girls with long curly hair) all of which have lice. I guess one got it and I didn't know and now they all have it. My head has been itching for a while and my husbands as well. I have done all their hair, washed everything in the house, re-did the hair, and they are back. I don't know what to do. Its a never ending battle. I want to call it quits and shave everyones head. Any advice?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:17 AM on Jul. 30, 2010 in General Parenting

• You have to hot wash everything their hair can come in contact with and do the RID on everyone. Plus vacuum well and just clean everything. BTW, lice loves clean hair, so, that just means your kids all have clean hair. LOL No need to feel bad.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:19 AM on Jul. 30, 2010

• OH NO! That can be really frusterating! Especially with 5 girls with long curly hair...eeekkkk..

I know that if you dont get ALL the eggs picked out they will come back.....you have to sit and pick every one. Uggg..I cant imagine!

I have heard about ironing mattresses and putting anything and everything in the drier. They cant live in hotter temps.

Sorry you are dealing with this...it sounds exhausting.
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 10:20 AM on Jul. 30, 2010

• Did you use the spray all around the house as well as washing everything? Did you clean the toys and bag up the stuffed animals? Did you spray your cars down and wash carseat covers?
    Jessica157

Answer by Jessica157 at 10:21 AM on Jul. 30, 2010

• dont forget about lysol... And it's no shame in getting head lice.. at least you are trying to get rid of it!!
    anabele

Answer by anabele at 10:21 AM on Jul. 30, 2010

• Not sure what to tell you, just be vigilant and make sure when you are cleaning their hair that you get every single nit. Maybe have them all sleep in the same room for awhile and wash the heck out of every other room. Then clean their hair and clean the room they were in. There is no need to feel that anyone will bash you, lice can be picked up VERY easily. It in no way means you aren't clean people. Good luck:)
    shanlaree

Answer by shanlaree at 10:22 AM on Jul. 30, 2010

• First, know that it's not a sign of being dirty. Like Braden's Mom said, they like clean hair. :-)
    There is RID spray that you can put on furniture, mattresses, and carpets. Just spray and vacuum the dead bugs.
    Do everyone's hair at the same time. Anything that can't be washed or sprayed (stuffed animals, ect...) put in the dryer on high heat.
    Don't forget to do the car too. It's one of those places a lot of people forget about. Especially if you have cloth seats. Just do the same there that you do for the furniture.
    Good luck!
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 10:23 AM on Jul. 30, 2010

• It's hard but there is an end in sight. I have not had to deal with lice myself or with my children. I used to work in a daycare and advised several parent's on what to do. I now have a home daycare and one family with lice that dosen't seem to be going away.
    Have you first told anyone that has been in contact with your children about the lice? Daycare, school, church, camps and such?
    Do the treatment on your kids and dh, brush through their hair and after doing the treatment manually remove any eggs and lice that may still be there. This will take some time, maybe ask someone for help who know's what to look for and won't judge you. Once they are all done send them to grandmas or a friends house. Then comb through your whole house. Wash anything that can be washed in hot water and hot dryer. Bag things that can't be washed, sealed up and left for 2 weeks if you can. Otherwise 48 hours should do the trick. cont.
    AmandaH321

Answer by AmandaH321 at 10:24 AM on Jul. 30, 2010

• Get Adams flea shampoo and spray. It is cheaper than RID and works on fleas. Spray everything everyday for a week bag up stuffed animals and wash everything in hot water. Wash the girls' hair in the Adams everyday and get a lice comb to pick it out of their hair. My sister has hair down to her butt when she got lice, it was awful.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 10:25 AM on Jul. 30, 2010

• It is cheaper than RID and works on fleas. **Sorry, I meant to say it works on lice**
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 10:26 AM on Jul. 30, 2010

• Do you have insurance? My DD got it from a water park hotel. She has thick hair down to her butt, I was not about to cut it all off. I think the over the counter lice treatments are a total waste of time and money. I told the doctor that we had tried over and over with the stuff from the store. Finally they called in a bottle of Ovide...it is a tiny clear glass bottle of...I swear to you some kind of refined kerosene...this stuff stinks to high heaven but I put it on her hair, put it up in a bandana...says not to but we did...and nothing survived this crap! I did not have to go thru her head ever again. I remember my grandma telling me in the old days they used to dip peoples heads in a bucket of kerosene to kill lice. Down side is without insurance this little bottle is almost 300 bucks. Good luck.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 10:27 AM on Jul. 30, 2010