why is my 2 1/2 year old limping?

Sunday morning my son started not wanting to walk on the heel of his left leg. I ended up taking him to the ER and they said it was only a sprain. Monday he was fine. He was fine all week. Then this morning he was climbing into my bed and hit his knee on my mattress and started crying and he is limping/ not walking on his left heel again. He didn't hit the mattress that hard. What could be wrong with him?

tess785

Asked by tess785 at 10:19 AM on Jul. 30, 2010 in Kids' Health

• A sprain has varying degrees of severity, but in ALL cases a sprain is a tearing of the muscles and/or ligaments that connect bones together. If his heel is hurting him, he could have sprained his Achilles Tendon (the protrusion behind you ankles and above your heel)or one of his calf muscles--likely the soleus (which lies under the "belly" of your calf muscle (gastrocnemus). Hitting his knee may have hit a nerve that is interconnected with the muscle or tendon he sprained.

I would take him to your nearest "emergency care" facility (NOT the ER) and have an x-ray taken. He COULD have a hairline or "greenstick" fracture in one of his shin bones (tibia or fibula).
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 10:33 AM on Jul. 30, 2010

• I would take him to his regular doctor and try to find out. That could be serious.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:23 AM on Jul. 30, 2010

• A sprain is a pretty big injury. It would be an injury to the ligaments. I can't figure out about the hitting the knee on the mattress, how that would affect his heel again. Unless he jerked the foot when he slipped. I'd probably put a cold pack on it for a few minutes at a time. And probably I'd call his doctor and ask. I don't like unexplained symptoms.

Answer by Bmat at 10:23 AM on Jul. 30, 2010

• I don't know what could be wrong, but I strongly suggest you take him int to his his doctor. There is something wrong and it sounds as though it needs to be checked out.
    lil_Army_Wife05

Answer by lil_Army_Wife05 at 10:24 AM on Jul. 30, 2010

• it's better to take him to his doctor,
    mommy_sam

Answer by mommy_sam at 10:25 AM on Jul. 30, 2010

• maybe the heel still hurts...its not been a week yet~keep watching?
    surfcitymom

Answer by surfcitymom at 10:25 AM on Jul. 30, 2010

• Like the others have said, I'd take him to his regular doctor. Good luck, hope he feels better soon!
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 10:30 AM on Jul. 30, 2010

• take him to the doctor. HE could have got hurt again climbing or even just walking.. Take him in get it looked at
    Claudiomom

Answer by Claudiomom at 10:32 AM on Jul. 30, 2010

• Check his leg for any bug bite or boil looking things. My son was acting the same way and he had staph. Never a sprain though so this may be different.
    mrsbean08

Answer by mrsbean08 at 12:35 PM on Jul. 30, 2010