Toddler wheezing/barking when active

My 14 month old wheezes/barks when she is running around and deeply breathing. I have an appointment for Tue., but my MIL thinks I should bring her to urgent care or something. The wheezing/barking isn't present when she's at rest or playing calmly. She shows no other signs of illness other than waking up during the night a little more then normal. Could this be asthma? Respiratory infection? Any ideas? Would you bring her in sooner?

kaylan010

Asked by kaylan010 at 10:37 AM on Jul. 30, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• DH says it could be asthma or croup. Wheezing after exhurtion means you need to take her in sooner, it can get worse and be serious. If it's a croupy cough then you can wait. Sorry, and good luck!
    chupachyps

Answer by chupachyps at 2:44 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• Sounds a little asthma like. However, it doesn't sound like an "Urgent Care" need. Just keep an eye on her.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:38 AM on Jul. 30, 2010

• Sounds like asthma.
    RoostersMom4

Answer by RoostersMom4 at 10:38 AM on Jul. 30, 2010

• Sounds like asthma to me,my Gr-dght & Grd-son have it and so do I. The waking up at night is a definate sign, running around and deep breathing also. I would definately see a Dr. possibaly an allergist or asthma Specialist. Not to scare you any but asthma not treated properly can cause death. If caught early children can also out grow it. The best of luck with your little girl, and I hope it's a mild case.
    MyAngel003

Answer by MyAngel003 at 10:55 AM on Jul. 30, 2010

• I'll try to get a hold of hubby...he's graduating in respiratory therapy the end of this month...he'll know better than me, and then I'll post or PM you back. Might be a couple hours though he's pretty busy, sorry.
    chupachyps

Answer by chupachyps at 11:00 AM on Jul. 30, 2010

• Sounds like asthma. Not an urgent care issue unless it starts happening when she is resting as well. Just be sure she doesn't over exert herself so much that it gets hard for her to breathe before you see the doctor. Chances are you'll get an albuterol nebulizer to try and see if that helps.
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 11:26 AM on Jul. 30, 2010

• Restrictive airway disorder, or RAD. We've had it since six months old. They are more careful now not to diagnose kids with asthma before they are four or five because, in many cases, they grow out of the symptom by the time they are 8 or 9. PP is probably right. You'll get an albuterol nebulizer to use as needed. The other thing it could be is stridor or croup. Is the wheezing occurring when she breathes in or breathes out?
    lvpenguino

Answer by lvpenguino at 12:52 PM on Jul. 30, 2010