Divorce in Kansas, Custody ?'s

I am a stay at home mom, and have been for 4 years. We live in Kansas. My husband wants a divorce (I don't). We have two kids (ages 5 and 3). He wants joint custody, I want full custody. I feel since I am the main parent currently, that it would make more sense for the kids to remain with me full time. He says he will fight me on it, because he wants joint custody. Any comments?

Do I get the same amount of child support for joint vs. full custody? Or will I get less for joint? How will this affect taxes? Can he claim them with joint? Any advice would be most helpful.

We saw a marriage counselor for the first time yesterday. Within 10 minutes of talking with my husband, she realized he was at "the point of no return"...So now the meetings will be for us, not to mend our marriage, but to make living together tolerable until he can leave financially (could be up to a year).

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:48 AM on Jul. 30, 2010 in Relationships

• I don't know about the child support but, I know that you will most likely get joint custody unless there is a good reason and you "taking care of the kids" is not a good reason. You will get child support if the children live with you primarily, how much depends on his income. My sisters husband didn't even show up for court and he got joint custody. Good luck.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 11:05 AM on Jul. 30, 2010

• Unless your current husband has some major problems, they will probably give him joint custody.But if you had residential custody and he got visitation, they would still live with you most of the time.I would offer that.give him weekend visits and some time in the summer when school is out.and you would buy the clothes and cover the basics with the child support he pays.
    I was divorced long ago.the best advice I can give is to not talk bad about their daddy where the kids can hear it.And if they ask questions that he should explain to them, Tell them you don't know, ask him.It is tempting to say what you think about it to the kids.If he is a jerk, one day the kids will figure it out for themselves.I sent my daughter to live with him at 15.she thought her dad hung the moon.He wouldn't get or even keep a job.And didnt care if there was food in the house.As long as he had his beer all was good.She had to see it for herself.
    evelynwest

Answer by evelynwest at 11:08 AM on Jul. 30, 2010