Creation or evolution in schools

Ok, I may sound stupid here, but since I grew up in a different country, I don't know, plus with all the commotion going on on these subjects I just have no clue.
What do they teach in public schools and in private, or in home schooling programs, creationism or evolution?
And subquestion, what would you like your children to be taught?

BeaMoore

Asked by BeaMoore at 11:04 AM on Jul. 30, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Evolution is and should be taught. Evolution is the scientific answer to how did we get here... If schools were to try and teach creation they would be stepping in to the world of teaching religion, which is a big no-no for most people.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:06 AM on Jul. 30, 2010

• I think that both should be taught in their appropriate subject areas. Evolution should be taught in science, creation myths should be taught in religious studies or history depending on the school curriculum. It's important that kids understand both the science so they can understand how the natural world works. It's also important that they learn the myths from various religions and cultures so they can understand the people around them.
    RhondaVeggie

Answer by RhondaVeggie at 11:07 AM on Jul. 30, 2010

• legaly, they can't teach creationism. IMO, if that's the case, they shouldn't teach evolution. OR if they do one, they should do both. i went to private school, and learned about both. evolution doesn't make sense anyway. science repeats itself. so why aren't monkies still turning into humans?
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 11:10 AM on Jul. 30, 2010

• Do to the fact that we have the separation of church and state in American and schools are funded with public dollars... they teach evolution. If you want your children to learn creation, you need to send them to private schools funded by the church. If you home school on your own dime you can teach your children whatever you like. If you homeschool your children using virtual home school offered by your state with public funds, the package contains evolution.
    WoodWitch

Answer by WoodWitch at 11:10 AM on Jul. 30, 2010

• they typically teach evolution here. since creation is a religious belief with no facts. however i would like to see schools teach a more rounded balance of information. maybe evolution in science glass but also i think teens should have a religions study requirement that briefly covers some of the major religions of the world from christianity to muslim etc
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 11:15 AM on Jul. 30, 2010

• Evolution is and should be taught. If you want them to learn creationism take them to church.

mommom2000

Answer by mommom2000 at 11:15 AM on Jul. 30, 2010

• Evolution is taught but not as the answer to "how we got here" as stated earlier. Evolution is taught as Evolution is intended, the changes in a species from one generation to the next over the course of time. It is a scientific principle that has every reason to be taught in school. Creationsim or intelligent design are religious principles and thus have no place in the classroom. And before anyone states it like they did in the last debate on this. No evolution is not an "Atheistic belief" it's a scientific one.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 11:21 AM on Jul. 30, 2010

• Evolution is taught in public schools for sure. Private and homeschools are going to vary. As a homeschooler I will teach my children creation, but let them know about evolution as well. If I end up sending them to school it will be a private Christian school and they will likely be taught creationism there as well. But I wouldn't teach it to them as if evolution can't possibly exist, unlike public school I will let them know that both are theories and that there is a debate. I will teach them that the world was created by God, whether God used evolution or whether He created the earth in 6 literal days is debatable.
    mybella81

Answer by mybella81 at 11:22 AM on Jul. 30, 2010

• I think it would be really hard for them to teach Creation in schools, because depending on the belief system, the Creation myths can be very different from one another. Who would decide which Creation Myths were taught and which were not? Would they include Creator Guided Evolution in the curriculum as well? Would there be parents upset when one myth was taught and others were not - I'm sure there would be... IF creation is going to be taught I think it would be best fit in to a world cultures under the idea of "This culture believed this" beyond that, creation should be left up to the parents or religion to teach.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:23 AM on Jul. 30, 2010

• "so why aren't monkies still turning into humans?"

armywife - please tell me you're joking. Your grasp of basic scientific principles is appalling.
    deadheadjen

Answer by deadheadjen at 11:24 AM on Jul. 30, 2010