Beach and babies--eating sand?

So went to the beach today with my 3yr old son and 10 month old. daughter I could not get my daughter to stop eatign sand!! I tried everything
I just ended up leaving because I didnt want her butt to hurt later that night when it came out the other end lol

ANy advice?

Brittyt4you_

Asked by Brittyt4you_ at 11:05 AM on Jul. 30, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I don't know but my 5 month old was doing it too. I had him on a blanket but he figured out how to pull the blanket until it was all bunched up and he could reach the sand. He didn't eat much, but we did have to keep moving him and putting the blanket back down. It's easier to stop a 5 month old I think.
    mybella81

Answer by mybella81 at 11:10 AM on Jul. 30, 2010

• Being 10 months old..she's probably pretty mobile by now, huh?lol, So you can't keep her on a blanket...she probably just crawls or walks right off and still gets the sand.
    Maybe bring a playpen to put her in when your not in the water with her? But that would be an awful lot to carry, especially if your by yourself.
    What about one of those little baby zippered beach tents? Would she stay in one of those while sitting on the beach?
    Keep her occupied and distracted with some really neat beach toys? Or just stay in the water the whole time with her and have your blankets and stuff sitting on a grassy part instead of the sand when you guys get out.
    I don't know...I probably would have did like you and just left,lol.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 11:14 AM on Jul. 30, 2010

• LOL yeah the first time i took dd to the beach, she was 10 months and found the sand too. she worked her way over to the wet sand, but thankfully i grabbed her before she could taste it. i had ds with me as well, who helped out with keeping the sand away from her mouth, he kept her entertained as much as he could. she did get a few bites in, but i don't recall any pain later on...
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 11:15 AM on Jul. 30, 2010

• There has been a problem with fecal mater bacteria being in sand at beaches in recent years. The water may be tested but the sand isn't. I'm a former microbiologist and I wouldn't let my child eat beach sand. Leaving was a good idea.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 12:19 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• I guess we wont be going to the beach anymore. My 8 month old likes to eat sand too. My mom always told me there was nothing wrong with it and it always comes out. But now that I know there could be bacteria in it I wont be going to the beach anytime soon, that is until next year when she's over a year old and can play in the water.
    jojolicious220

Answer by jojolicious220 at 2:56 PM on Jul. 31, 2010

• We used to live right across the street from the beach and I just tried to keep which ever baby at the time was eating sand busy with something else. None have ever gotten sick or had a hard time with it "coming out the other end" but now that The whole fecal matter thing is in my mind I guess I won't be bringing my 8 month old to the beach any time soon either! Yikes!
    triciamarie73

Answer by triciamarie73 at 3:30 PM on Jul. 31, 2010

• My son did the same thing....And NOTHING HAPPENED TO HIM!!!!!!!!! I have been doing alot of reading and over the years we are more and more puutting out kids in a bubble....THis is why they are always sick and coming down with something....I never got sick as a child my mother let me do everything and it worked well for me.....But then 5 years later she had my brother and she kept him in a "bubble" and the kid was sick everyother week....LEt them grow and get dirty eat the sand....Nothing is going to happen they need to grow anitbodies one way or another....I have a tent for my son...but i do let him explore and get dirty......as far as the fecal matter...iam sure sand isnt the cleanest thing in the world....but gimme a break
    MaMaTreZZa

Answer by MaMaTreZZa at 8:28 AM on Aug. 1, 2010