Dogs and babies

DO you think that they should not be left alone together?

My pediatrician says no

What do you think?

Brittyt4you_

Asked by Brittyt4you_ at 11:08 AM on Jul. 30, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• Even having the utmost level of trust in a dog, if it's a brand new baby you might want to be extra cautious until you know how pooch is going to react. Even the most beloved pet can react negatively to a little stranger in their lifelong home. Once you have observed them for a while and are certain baby's not afraid of dog and doggie is comfortable with the new addition, I wouldn't put too much stock into worrying about it.
    wildsun

Answer by wildsun at 11:11 AM on Jul. 30, 2010

• I agree and i dont care WHAT the breed is either. I dont think dogs and young children mix. too many times you can read the tragedy of the trusted family pet that was never mean a day in its life and it turns on the baby and kills it.
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 11:11 AM on Jul. 30, 2010

• There was that wolf hybrid that took the newborn into the woods to hide it.The baby was okay.and the dog was just doing what it thought it should do.I wouldn't leave them alone.but that doesn't mean you should keep your dog away all the time.Some dogs are great with kids.
    evelynwest

Answer by evelynwest at 11:12 AM on Jul. 30, 2010

• I think you are a fool if you leave a dog and a baby alone together. I love dogs. I have two large breed dogs, one 80pds and one will be well over 120 by the time he is full grown. I trust my dogs implicitly. They both are trained to take commands from both my 13 year old and my 4 year old. BUT, I wouldn't leave them alone together.
    Acid

Answer by Acid at 11:12 AM on Jul. 30, 2010

• I don't see myself leaving my baby alone period...
    elizabiza

Answer by elizabiza at 11:18 AM on Jul. 30, 2010

• I have a 4lb Miniature Pinscher. I wouldn't leave it with a baby and she is sweet.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:18 AM on Jul. 30, 2010

• We never leave our child alone with any animal, she is 19 months now. She loves our dog, but the dog is easily twice her size, and much stronger. No way she's going to get left alone with any dog until she is old enough to know how to approach new dogs and handle the ones she knows; probably around thirteen at the earliest- that's when I was able to handle our old lab and take her on walks by myself and knew when not to try to approach a strange dog.
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 11:21 AM on Jul. 30, 2010

• I am totally a dog person and totally love my animals. I was raised having dogs in the house and have raised my kids with dogs in the house. My babysitter has dogs in the house. I trust my dogs but I try to be a responsible dog owner and not put them in a place where something bad could happen. Just make sure that your animal is not left alone with your baby and then you don't have to worry.
    Nindy

Answer by Nindy at 11:27 AM on Jul. 30, 2010

• No would not leave my dog alone with my baby. Even though he's the sweetest dog ever.
    Iluvmy5

Answer by Iluvmy5 at 11:36 AM on Jul. 30, 2010

• I always err on the side of caution and would not leave the baby alone with any dog.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 1:20 PM on Jul. 30, 2010