Has anyone gone into labor naturally after an induction?

With both of my boys I was induced at 41 weeks with no signs of labor (I was at 1cm each time, no contractions, nothing!). Hubby and I are ttc our third and I would really like to try to go into labor on my own this time. I have always heard that pictocin labors are much more painful and I handled them pretty well so I'm thinking that a natural labor should go pretty smoothly with my history.

So has anyone been able to do this? I'm afraid that my history of not going into labor is going against me. And it wasn't one of those, well the baby just wasn't ready situations. My oldest was 9lbs 1 oz and my second was 8lbs 7 oz and both were very healthy.

mamasitax2

Asked by mamasitax2 at 11:12 AM on Jul. 30, 2010 in Pregnancy

• My last one was induced after my waterbroke and had no conrtactions.But it really didn't work till they opened the IV all the way.So I may have gone naturally.He was 10 pounds.
    evelynwest

Answer by evelynwest at 11:14 AM on Jul. 30, 2010

• Actually 42 weeks is still term and you may have gone into labor if given time. And size is not a true indication of readiness. So, maybe let them let you go a little longer before inducing.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:16 AM on Jul. 30, 2010

• I was induced with my first 3 days before my due date for issues with high blood pressure. I went into labor on my own with my second at 4 days past my due date. The pitocin contractions were much, much worse than my natural ones. My oldest was 8 lbs 3.8 oz and my youngest was 8 lbs 10.6 oz. Just be prepared that you may be farther along in your labor than you think if you compare the strength of the natural contractions to pitocin contractions; I was.
    andrea96

Answer by andrea96 at 11:22 AM on Jul. 30, 2010

• with my DD i had 3 failed inductions... one at 38,39,40 weeks! i just got send home after 2 days each time i had pitcoin, cervitech cervidil all of it! then she came all 100% on her own at 40 weeks 5 days!
    oppsdiditagain

Answer by oppsdiditagain at 11:29 AM on Jul. 30, 2010

• You haven't "not" gone into labor you were twice induced before your time; you can go from "0" to active labor within hours.
    A study done (in 1990) found that the average length of a pregnancy was about 40 weeks + 8 days for first time mothers, and 40 weeks + 3 days for mothers having their second, or subsequent babies; in order for there to be an "average" there have to be women on either side. With your history I would assume that you gestate longer than 41 weeks and stop worrying that your baby is gestating longer than some German guy in the 1800s said it should ;o)

My first was induced for pre-e but my second came naturally at 40w1d.

happytexasCM

Answer by happytexasCM at 11:37 AM on Jul. 30, 2010

• i know this isn't really answering your question, but if you want to not be induced, you just have to find a provider that will not induce just because of the date. :) GL!
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 12:20 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• I will guess it's almost 100% that if you allow your body the opportunity to progress it will. That would be normal. :-)

Keep in mind that 40 weeks is only a MID-point within the average estimated due period (38-42 weeks). Many moms need longer (or shorter) time to gestate as this is normal for THEM.

Something to start with is avoiding getting your cervix checked. Since is does not indicate when-how you'll labor it's really pointless. Even dangerous since it leads to interventions.
    If you want a safer, normal experience, avoiding unnecessary interventions ( = unnecessary risks) is an important consideration!

There are lots of things you can do~
    Best wishes!
    :-)

doulala

Answer by doulala at 2:21 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• Yes. In my opinion and experience, pitocin induced births are no more or less painful than natural birth. So to say they are more painful is a matter of opinion and not a fact. There are things you can try to bring about natural labor and if it works out great. If not it's no big deal because you will already know what to expect.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 7:15 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• Though pain is subjective pitocin induced contractions are stronger and more frequent than natural contractions. I would definitely say that my induced contractions were more painful that my natural ones even though my second labor was short.
    happytexasCM

Answer by happytexasCM at 5:40 PM on Jul. 31, 2010