Potty help!

i need advice i am about to give up and try later on! my 2 1/2 yr old will potty in a toilet with no diaper every time with out fail! but if i put a pull up on or underwear he pees in it and will not tell me if he has to potty or not.. well now we had gone on a trip and he had to wear a pull up their was no choice now all he wants is a diaper and will not even try and go i am so frustrated i have been working with him on his terms but now i am at a loss of what to do please help!

saadamarie

Asked by saadamarie at 11:14 AM on Jul. 30, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Mine does this. I really think he's confused about the difference between undies and a diaper, and why he can crap in one and not the other.
    When we're at home he's naked on the bottom with a long shirt on. When we go out, he's commando. When I do that, we haven't had any accidents, but if I take him out and he's got undies on, there's inevitably some poop or pee I have to deal with. He seems to get that you don't pee in your pants, but he hasn't made that connection to the underpants yet.
    Jenny-talia

Answer by Jenny-talia at 11:31 AM on Jul. 30, 2010

• ya thats exactly what my child is doing however i have not tried just letting him go camando with shorts on thank you i was starting to feel so bad that i dont know what to do1 good luck with your child
    saadamarie

Comment by saadamarie (original poster) at 11:56 AM on Jul. 30, 2010

• if my son is in trainers or underwear he will sit on the potty, BUT he doesnt undress himself lol we are trying to work on that and if he sees his underpants are soiled he gets upset. Pull ups can definately cause confusion. Even though they are labeled as traning pants and the pulls up potty training video encourages you to tell the child they are big kid pants, they are still made of the same material and are thick like diapers. I try to remind my son that underpants are NOT diapers and if theres a character on them I tell him not to get "so and so" wet. I also practice undressing with him. if he has an accident or so happens to tell me he has to go before he goes, I take his hands, have them grip the underpants and guide them down. It takes practice and patience!
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 1:48 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• He does sound confused. And why is it on his terms? I don't mean this mean but you are the parent, and you need to show him what to do. I would get rid of pull ups all together, they are confusing. As far as wearing no underwear, my son still goes commando too and it works! I would def try it. Good luck!
    newmomma14

Answer by newmomma14 at 10:23 PM on Jul. 30, 2010