If you knew that someone was bringing their kids to the church you attend who have been having issues with gettting rid of lice, would you say something and if so to who?

AmandaH321

Asked by AmandaH321 at 11:26 AM on Jul. 30, 2010 in General Parenting

• wow...what a shame people dont have the common sense to treat their children before coming to a public place and exposing other people to creepies! UGH! I would have to speak to them directly. Not in a nasty way,but take them aside,in a privat manner,bring it to their attention,(as if they dont know!) and tell them they may need to treat that before bringing them back to church. If they get offended,so be it. I wouldnt want my child,or me for that matter, to be getting lice from them.That is just nasty to keep them. Not to get them,but to keep them is gross. I mean really. It really shouldnt take ANYONE to tell them,but some people just have no decency.
    phall1069

Answer by phall1069 at 11:33 AM on Jul. 30, 2010

• uh yeah! i'd tell who ever is in charge of the kids classes
    elizabiza

Answer by elizabiza at 11:29 AM on Jul. 30, 2010

• yeah i would cause i wouldnt want my kids or any one else to get them
    britme1027

Answer by britme1027 at 11:31 AM on Jul. 30, 2010

• Yup! I would tell whoever takes care of the kids there.
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 11:32 AM on Jul. 30, 2010

• I would WANT to say something but I would be afraid to cause any trouble ...at church!Some Moms don't care ....they keep saying that Lice don't jump and all those lame excuses for thinking their kids won't give lice to others. But I want to know WHY the kids still have lice and haven't been treated for them ....a shampoo to kill the lice????
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 11:37 AM on Jul. 30, 2010

• They tell me they shampoo them and that the lice are gone and then they bring the kids to me to watch and I find more on them. It's a frustrating situation because their dr even tells them that they are free of lice. I have always (since I started checking for lice in children) made it a habit to (this may sound gross) take the lice and eggs out of a child's hair and put it in a piece of scotch tape or packaging tape so that parent's can see what it is they should be looking for. It also became necessary as proof to some parent's that their kids had lice. If an egg come's off with the hair I put that in because you can't deny it's from your kids head if there's hair and everything.
    AmandaH321

Comment by AmandaH321 (original poster) at 11:43 AM on Jul. 30, 2010

• It is church you know. You can't stop people from going to church no matter how bad their personal hygene habits are. Maybe you should get them some Lice shampoo and the combs and offer to go help them treat their childrens hair. Maybe they honestly don't know what to do and sort of hope it will go away on their own ( or maybe they can't afford the treatments?) I would think that would be the Christian thing to do. Not create a huge scandal at church and humiliate them!
    TakeNoticeNow

Answer by TakeNoticeNow at 11:45 AM on Jul. 30, 2010

• Actually, when you look at the science, there's no reason to believe that a child who has head lice will spread it to other children without direct head to head contact in a church setting.

The American Academy of Pediatrics released new clinical guidelines earlier this week about the issue (http://www.healthychildren.org/English/News/pages/AAP-Offers-Updated-Guidance-on-Treating-Head-Lice.aspx)

The full report is a lot more clinical. It's really based upon the facts of head lice, not the emotions.
    key points:
    1. you can't really prevent head lice other than keeping kids from sharing items (combs, hats) and having direct head-to-head contact.
    2. your pediatrician really needs to be involved to have proper diagnosis (~1/2 of all diagnoses are NOT correct)
    3. exclusion of a child can be very socially debilitating. No child should be excluded from school for head lice.

Hope this information helps.
    DanaDWeb

Answer by DanaDWeb at 11:46 AM on Jul. 30, 2010

• TakeNoticeNow I don't want to create a scandal at the church. I have offered to help, I care for these kids in my home, well until the whole lice thing. They can afford the treatments and have been doing them but something isn't working. I wonder if they've done them so many times that the lice are not affected but the shampoo anymore???? I still offer to help and they don't seem to want it. I have told them what to do, have looked online for other options and new options. What more can I do, I certainly don't want them to stop coming to the church but also don't want lice to be the reason someone else dosen't come to church.
    AmandaH321

Comment by AmandaH321 (original poster) at 11:57 AM on Jul. 30, 2010

• If the over the counter lice treatment doesn't work anymore, they need to get a prescription from their doctor. They do have stronger chemicals. About your church, they could be infecting more children and carpets, toys. You need to go to adminstration about this. No other place would allow children with lice to be let in. A notice should be handed out to ALL childrens parents to notify them of a lice outbreak. I would like to know if there was a chance of my child coming in contact with lice so I can bag up stuffed animals for 2 weeks.. treat bedding and carpet. You have to repeat hair treatment every 7-10 days to kill off the next cycle of lice.
    MKSers

Answer by MKSers at 12:20 PM on Jul. 30, 2010