Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

my 7 day new baby

has puss coming from her eye and i think its from the air conditioner but the dad thinks its from the fans has anyone had this happen


Asked by photogrypher at 11:29 AM on Jul. 30, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

Level 11 (592 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (11)
  • she may have a blocked tear duck or an eye infection i would call the pedi

    Answer by britme1027 at 11:33 AM on Jul. 30, 2010

  • It's common in newborns to have a blocked tear duct. The discharge is usually white or yellow which will crust over after the infant sleeps. There may be a small lump under her eye near her nose. Gentle, upward motions on the area (under the eye, near the nose) can help to open the membrane, as well as warm compresses. Clear the discharge with a cotton ball soaked in saline solution, wiping from the inside out. Use a clean cotton ball for each swipe.

    Answer by Jenny-talia at 11:34 AM on Jul. 30, 2010

  • it should be checked out. sounds like a minor eye infection.

    Answer by sati769leigh at 11:30 AM on Jul. 30, 2010

  • call her doctor, don't guess.

    Answer by older at 11:31 AM on Jul. 30, 2010

  • I may be wrong here, but isn't puss usually a sign of an infection? My youngest had an infection in one of her tear ducts when she was just a few weeks old. I was told to just gently press down on the side of her nose to push it out. It worked and cleared up immediately.

    Answer by shanlaree at 11:31 AM on Jul. 30, 2010

  • Mine had that. It was an infection that happened from being born. I was told it was common and a eye perscription was given and cleared it right up.

    Answer by Iluvmy5 at 11:33 AM on Jul. 30, 2010

  • It sounds like she may have a clogged tear duct. Many infants at that age get that. Keep wiping it with a wet,warm wash cloth. Give the doctor a call, he'll want to check it out to make sure thats all it is.
    It usually goes away on its own. :)

    Answer by kimberlyinberea at 11:33 AM on Jul. 30, 2010

  • yeah i would call the peditrician

    Answer by Ricanmami1 at 11:58 AM on Jul. 30, 2010

  • I agree with the blocked tear duct. She could have gotten an infection along with the blocked duct. Babies can need surgery. She may need antibiotics and needs to be seen as soon as possible. Call her pcp and tell them you want seen today. If they can't ask where to take her - urgent care center or ER.

    You can squeeze some breastmilk in the baby's eye several times a day. Human milk helps with eye ingections.


    Answer by Gailll at 12:11 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

  • I would call the pediatrician.

    Answer by Christina807 at 12:45 PM on Jul. 30, 2010