How do you get someone to understand that if their child has lice that they need to take care of it before bringign them around other people/places?

I'm sorry for all the lice questions today but this is becoming an issue for me because I care for 2 children who have lice and nothing the parent's are doing is seeming to resolve the issue. I know that the father dosen't believe that they should be kept away from activities, like coming to my house for daycare, the nursrey at church and visiting grandparent's. They have people over to the house, one person had gotten lice but not sure if it was from them. But they also aren't telling people anymore that their kids still have it or warning people who hold their baby (who has it, she's 14 months) or who come into their home. I'm really frustrated!!!!!! This is good for me to vent and see that other's would react of feel the same as I do. It would even be helpful to have opposing opinions so I can better understand where this family is coming from.

AmandaH321

Asked by AmandaH321 at 11:40 AM on Jul. 30, 2010 in General Parenting

• This touches home with me. My step daughter gets lice ALL the time from her mothers house. And brings her here, say this summer.. well i have super long her and two daughters of my own that could get exposed. She "says" she treats her house for them.. but i don't think she does. My step daughter has had lice 5 times this year. When she is over here and has lice, I oil her hair and wrap it up with a walmart sack then heat it with a blow dryer. I told her mother if I found out she has it again, i will be calling Child protective services. Sounds like that is who you need to be calling.
    MKSers

Answer by MKSers at 12:16 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• Refuse to watch them until they are clear of head lice. And if you don't have them written in your guidelines already, you need to add them and make every parent sign an updated acknowledgement so they understand that you will not watch their child(ren) while they are infested.
    thatgirl70

Answer by thatgirl70 at 11:53 AM on Jul. 30, 2010

• I would call some social services or something, if the parents arent doing anything about it, they are neglecting their children. i would personally clean them up. and not send them back until their parents cleaned up their house.
    xmama_bellax

Answer by xmama_bellax at 12:01 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• I would quit watching them until it is gone.. Lice is sooo hard to get rid of so they would have to do the lice shampoo and wash everything in their house. Honestly, they don't sound like the kind of ppl to do all that. Maybe if you make it hard on them (not watching their kids).. they will take care of it quicker. If I were you, I would do routine head checks to make sure it stays gone.;
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 11:42 AM on Jul. 30, 2010

• If it were me, and I were babysitting for them, I would honestly tell them that I would be randomly checking the kids heads and that if they had lice, they would have to come and pick them up. Honestly, you can't really do much about them taking them other places, or having people to their home. However, you can prevent them from bringing it into your home, and protect your guests from getting it from the children.
    mommy11260

Answer by mommy11260 at 11:43 AM on Jul. 30, 2010

• I babysit children in my home too. I would be nice but firm. DO NOT LET THEM bring them kids into your house if they still have lice.If they continue to do nothing about it, tell them your sorry but you can longer care for thier children and try to find some other children to watch to replace them. I know that may seem harsh..but really...lice is a communicable disease..they need to learn that NOW. If it was a daycare or a school...trust me...they wouldnt be allowed to stay there either.It will cost everyone else time and money to keep cleaning up the lice that they continue to let go. If this has been going on for a really long time, maybe give child services or the health department a phone call. These parents need to smarten up and take care of these kids. Can you imagine how itchy thier little heads must be?Its making me itch just thinking about it.Its selfish of them not to take care of it.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 11:46 AM on Jul. 30, 2010

• I'm just trying to understand why they are so nonchalant about it. It's been almost a month. I've become friends with the mom, but it's definately strained now. They go to my church and are friends with my children. I can't for the life of my understand why they don't have the common curtousy for other's around them. I call and tell them that the kids have lice and they leave them with me or once told me to go to their house and get some of the shampoo and do the treatment on their hair myself. I tell them that the kids cannot come back if they have lice and they say they're good and then I find them and they are at my house all day, leaving extra cleaning and stress for me as I have to keep the kids away from eachother and they don't understand why. It also cancelles our plans for the day because trips to the library and friends house for pool time and ballet lessons one lady offers.
    AmandaH321

Comment by AmandaH321 (original poster) at 11:50 AM on Jul. 30, 2010

• Check with the local health department and school department to see what their policies are on head lice... then abide by those! I believe they need to keep their kids out until the lice are treated and gone!!

Morgain

Answer by Morgain at 11:51 AM on Jul. 30, 2010

• If they don't get it by now they won't. Stop watching the children.
    happytexasCM

Answer by happytexasCM at 11:54 AM on Jul. 30, 2010

• There is plenty of information about how head lice gets around. I never even knew about lice until my son brought it home from school one day. At my child's school they did a head check for the lice to see if anyone actually had it still on their scalp. If they did they were sent home to take care of it to keep it from spreading over and over again.
    CafeMochaMom1

Answer by CafeMochaMom1 at 12:00 PM on Jul. 30, 2010