7 month old ate cat food!

Is this harmful for her?
Before you jugde me, I have the cat food on the dryer, but I guess the cat must have knocked a couple peices on the floor because I come from the bathroom and my DD has a little fish shaped Meow mix peice in her mouth!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:00 PM on Oct. 3, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Oh this is some what related....I just remembered. Once when I was a teenager, I had this cat that I feed can cat food too (you know the stuff that comes in like a tuna can). Anyway, I was opening the cat's can of food, not only did I open it but I always took a fork and broke it up before giving to her.....

Anyway for a split second I forgot what I was doing and actually ate the cat food off of the fork after breaking it up..... My family was in the kitchen with me and totally razed me!!!
    SAHMinIL

Answer by SAHMinIL at 4:24 PM on Oct. 3, 2008

• Heh, my daughter does the same thing.. weird kids. I am sure a few small pieces won't hurt her. If she got a lot and she's not on solids at all - she might have a tummy ache. It's safe for humans to eat, so she should be just fine.
    Serafyna

Answer by Serafyna at 4:06 PM on Oct. 3, 2008

• She should be just fine. It's made out of food and a few pieces won't cause any harm.
    It's kind of cute! Be sure to write in her baby book that she ate cat food. Yummy.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 4:07 PM on Oct. 3, 2008

• hugs mom, i wouldnt worry to much, unless she grows whiskers... when i was that age, my grandpa used to take me to the barn and i ate horsefood ( not bad either) there are going to be worse things she is going to stick into her mouth... she will have a yucky taste, maybe give her some water to clean out her mouth, but it wont hurt her, just icky ..
    sweetscrappin

Answer by sweetscrappin at 4:11 PM on Oct. 3, 2008

• When my oldest was a toddler someone had to yell or run to pick up the dog food...if they didn't my son would eat it like snacks. I asked the pedi once and he just laughed and said all kids who have the chance do it and that it was fine.
    You aren't a bad Mom..crap happens and you will never be able to stop it all no matter how hard you try. Take it easy on yourself you have a long road ahead.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 4:17 PM on Oct. 3, 2008

• My dad says that cat and dog food is made out of human food, it's just the stuff that they don't sell. So, even though it doesn't make for a healthy diet :) I think she'll be fine. It happens. My boy licked dog food off his finger one night when it got on him when he was feeding the dog. Grossed me out, and he didn't look real thrilled, but he's fine.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 4:17 PM on Oct. 3, 2008

• From OP:
    I remember my sister being 2 or 3, riding around the house in this little ride on car that had a storage under the seat where she would keep the dog biscuits she stole from the box, lol.
    Anonymous

• I wouldn't worried.... She'll be fine...Mine were about 12-13 months old and 22-23 months old when they got a hold of the dog's treats. We keep them on the floor in the pantry and for whatever reason the door to the pantry was not shut. I don't remember exactly what I was doing (they are 6 and 7 years old now), I may have been changing a load of laundry or going to the bathroom. Anyway, I came into the kitchen because I could hear some arguing between the 2 kids. I came in and found that they were eating the dog treats and were fighting because my older one was being busy and telling my younger one they she couldn't have any more. My 23 month old told me that they ate like 3 each.... they were fine honest, and were actually mad at me because I told them they couldn't have any more.
    SAHMinIL

Answer by SAHMinIL at 4:19 PM on Oct. 3, 2008

• Oh and I called my Mom that day and she told me that they will be fine and shared how when she was a kid she will steal and eat the dog treats all the time.....
    SAHMinIL

Answer by SAHMinIL at 4:20 PM on Oct. 3, 2008

• Don't worry. My sister ate catfood when she was little. It was funny to watch. If its just a couple of pieces, don't freak out. If its meant to feed cats, it's not poisonous.
    LaurenKaye29

Answer by LaurenKaye29 at 4:29 PM on Oct. 3, 2008