Good sources of iron

I am thinking of stopping the baby oatmeal, my dd is having trouble pooping again and I am hoping that this might help her. She still needs the iron though, and is breastfed so she isn't getting the extra iron that formula provides. What are some good iron rich foods that a 7 month old can have?

rhianna1708

Asked by rhianna1708 at 12:18 PM on Jul. 30, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• leafy veggies,broccoli,beef

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 12:21 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• The iron in milk is in a form that is well absorbed. Breastfed babies get enough iron from breastfeeding for at least 9 mo if they were healthy and full term. By that time they should be eating real meat and getting iron from eat. Babies never need cereal.

http://www.kellymom.com/ is a good breastfeeding website that has starting solids info including info about iron.

For babies that weren't full term and healthy you can have simple tests done for anemia and if your baby doesn't have enough iron feed more meat or iron supplement. Iron is important for brain growth in infants. Meat is the best source of iron.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 12:25 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• Are you still taking prenatal vitamins? If so, unless your baby has been tested and is iron deficient, there's no reason to think she isn't getting enough from you. When you feed her solids, just feed her healthy foods like fruits and veggies and you'll be fine. The info our pediatrician gave regarding starting certain solids had us waiting until 9 months to start meats which your body processes the iron from meat easily than from veggies. So I think as long as she's still getting the bulk of her intake from you, which until 1 year, she should be, you're worrying over nothing.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 12:41 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• And really, the prenatal vitamins are more for you. The baby will get what it needs from you. You just don't want your body to become deficient in vitamins, so keep taking those prenatals.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 12:42 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• We gave an infant vitamin that contained iron as recommended by our pediatrician when I was exclusively breast feeding. I believe it also had Vitamin D which is good for babies, too, and something they sometimes don't get while nursing (especially here in Michigan). I stopped the vitamin a while ago because I noticed gray staining on my daughter's front teeth which I read is a sign of too much iron. So keep an eye out for that if you go with a supplement.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 1:18 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• If you're worried about iron take a multi vitamin with iron in it. But your body will naturally put the babies needs above your own, meaning you pass whatever iron you eat into your breast milk before it absorbs into your body so your baby should be getting what she needs.
    knfisch

Answer by knfisch at 2:33 PM on Jul. 30, 2010