would you let relatives move in with you for a while?

just wondering if anyone else has ever done this and how it turned out...
my brother is going to move in with us for a couple of months so he can work and go to school in the town where we live.
i've thought about inviting my sister to come sometime too.
my husband it totally on board with it too- in fact it was his idea to ask my brother to come here to finish school.

elizabiza

Asked by elizabiza at 12:23 PM on Jul. 30, 2010 in Relationships

• My sister moved in with us for 6 months when she moved from California for a job in NY. It was awesome! She's 6 years older than me and before that we would only talk like 1-2 times a month. She stayed in NY for almost 5 years and now she moved to New Mexico, however, we now talk just about every other day. I got to really know her and am so glad I had that opportunity!

KJohnson4762

Answer by KJohnson4762 at 12:29 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• I have never done it..but maybe doing it in the future with my brother.

I have always said to my family that if anyone needs to stay they will always be very welcome (even if they need to stay for free). That is what family is for.
    keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 12:25 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• I've never done it, but I would if I had to. I think the key is making sure that everyone has their own space, and bounderies/rules are set up from the beginning. I know of several situations where everyone ended up arguing - I think it was because an honest discussion wasn't had in the first place.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 12:27 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• I have done it before. Not a very pleasant experience. My sister would get on my nerves all the time! But would I do it again, yes. If a family member needed it then I would put up with it until they could get on their own. Now my dfs family I would say hell no too! LOL
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 12:29 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• Depends on who it is. My brother: No Way In Hell!
    Most others, sure if they are willing to work/go to school or just need a place to get it back together for a few months.
    Most any friend or family is welcome. :-)
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 12:26 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• That would be disasterous for us! They'd never leave!

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 12:27 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• Depending on the brother.

My brothers I would, my sister too. Just remember you might have to ask them to leave. Sometimes family gets too comfortable with the fact of living with someone. Have them chip in even if it is a little.

You don't want your guest to over stay their welcome. Also, set the rules adult or not it is your home. You should be fine. Good luck!!!
    KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 12:31 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• Yes, I have had family live with us from time to time. My brother lived with me twice...but the last time I kicked him out and I will never let him move in with me again. Bad experience.Long story.
    My Aunt and her family lived with me for awhile once..it turned out well and I actually missed them when they were gone.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 12:34 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• I haven't done it but I would.
    Cassandre

Answer by Cassandre at 12:40 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• yes, we have. it worked out fine. make sure the rules are discussed right away.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 12:48 PM on Jul. 30, 2010